4.24.2004

"i'm just like a pile of leaves"
status check - peachy keen
background ambiance - scanner

it's often said that in order to further one's writing, one must further one's reading. while i'm sure the original author of said quote hardly expected it to carry over into blogs and livejournals and things of that nature, i've adapted it for the times. many a time (such as now, during a saturday morning shift), i will look through the work of various online authors such as myself to see how other people in the world are doing - what they're thinking, what they're like. it's paid off numerous times over - i've been introduced to music that now dominates my playlists, ideas that i've mulled over and writing i've connected with. such is the case today, as i came across a reference to a poet i've been reading all morning.

------

an excerpt from Meditations In an Emergency
Frank O'Hara (1956)

My eyes are vague blue, like the sky, and change all the time;
they are indiscriminate but fleeting, entirely specific and
disloyal, so that no one trusts me. I am always looking away.
Or again at something after it has given me up. It makes me
restless and that makes me unhappy, but I cannot keep them
still. If only i had grey, green, black, brown, yellow eyes; I
would stay at home and do something. It's not that I'm
curious. On the contrary, I am bored but it's my duty to be
attentive, I am needed by things as the sky must be above the
earth. And lately, so great has their anxiety become, I can
spare myself little sleep.

No comments: