10.13.2005

From 0 to 6 in 90 seconds

Telephone ringing
V: Hey, it's me.
Mom: Hi!
V: I was just telling Beth about how Nina (V note: pregnant cousin) is going to name the baby Isabella...
M: Well, she doesn't know now.
V: What?
M: Apparently that wasn't set in stone.
(conversation follows, during which I say she HAS to name the baby Isabella because I want a Second Cousin Izzy.)
V: Well, she's got to keep Eliza or Liza or Molly off the list.
M: Why?
V: Because I like them. You know, just in case.
M: But you're not having kids.
V: Well, I'm not saying that I AM, I'm just saying in case - wait! Why am I not having kids?
M: You always said you weren't.
V: And this is the one time you decide to listen to me?
M: You can't say I never do.
V: So you're that set to not be a grandmother?
M: Well, Tom might -
V: HEY!
M: Well, I WANT grandchildren. I'm already collecting those quarter sets for them. I'm keeping six sets.
V: Six? SIX?!?!
M: I don't want to leave any of the grandkids out, just in case.
V: YOU THINK TOM AND I WILL COMBINE TO GIVE YOU SIX GRANDKIDS?!?!?
M: Well, you might marry someone with kids already. These things get dicey. You never know.
V: SIX KIDS?!?
M: But get a puppy or a cat first.
V: What?
M: You know. Trial run.
V: ARE YOU CALLING ME A BAD MOTHER?
M: Goodnight, dear.
V: A BAD MOTHER OF SIX CHILDREN?!?!?
M: Puppy. Or a kitten.
V: I'll name it Riley.
M: Why don't you name it Molly and get that name out of your system?
V: Goodnight, Mom.

No comments: