10.26.2005

Grrr

OR Living in a Winter Wonderland

There are those who love winter.

Then there are those who complain about winter once the calendar reaches, say, January or the depression that is a gray, snowy February. But when the first snow falls from the sky, they waltz around saying how idyllic it all looks. They make hot chocolate and curl up beneath a blanket watching the white descending onto the cold ground below.

And then there's me.

Upon seeing the snow falling yesterday evening, the only things in my mind were the following:

- There is cold white stuff raining gloom from the dark clouds above.
- There is cold white stuff on my car, requiring me to scrape off said car with a shovel because I'd yet to find my ice scraper.
- Fabulous, I'm going to be walking around with tense shoulders until March or April.
- I could hop on a plane at 6 a.m. Thursday morning and travel from Burlington to San Diego, one way, for $209. (Yes, I did look it up.)

I know the question that comes to mind: Why live in New England if I can't take the cold?

Because I grew up here, my loved ones are here, and, perhaps most importantly, I lived away from New England for a year and the snow followed me. And if you're not in the cold constantly, it only makes you more of a wuss when it arrives.

Fortunately, no snow on the ground in Burlington. Here's to hoping it stays that way, at least until I dig out my long wool peacoat...

No comments: