10.18.2005

Life Lesson #3450285

Caring about a person. Knowing a person.

Two entirely different things.

I looked at Beth.

"I just have to remember," I said. "You can want someone to get to know you. You can do everything you can to make it so someone can get to know you. You can feel like someone SHOULD know you. But sometimes, someone's just not going to get to know you. And that's just how it is."

She gave me one of her sympathetic smiles. I've seen a lot of them. As I've trudged through the kitchen door after particularly long days. As she's brought cups of coffee to my door because I can't get away just when I need a maple latte the most. When I've been sick. As she's listened to me complain and rubbed my back.

And now. As she knew that with one suggestion, I would have happily changed things around. Because SHE knows me. And she knows I wanted to be known.

"It sucks," she said.

"It's life."

We looked at each other.

Exactly.

We're both right.

No comments: