7.16.2006

Well, it makes sense in my head, at least

Clickers and clackers. Both groups of charming people. It's tough to tell into which group a new friend or friendly acquaintance will go.

Take a clicker. You meet a clicker and it's instantaneous. You're there, he or she is there and, most importantly, the comfort is there.

"Hi, friend. Friend? Well, yeah, obviously. I'm me, you're you and we each clearly recognize the other's awesomeness. It's about time you showed up. We're going to be cool, mmmmkay? That's what I thought."

With a clacker, however, the gears seem to grind. With a clacker's clicker counterpart*, you don't even think of second-guessing your thoughts or comments. But the clacker makes you stammer a bit.

"Hi, I'm, uh, me. And you're you. I mean, obviously you're you - who else would you be but you? Sorry. So. Er. We each seem to recognize that the other's pretty awesome - or, at least, I think we each see that - and I know that I'd love for us to be cool. You know, if that's cool with you. Cool?"

You want to feel comfortable with a clacker. The clacker is unquestionably someone intriguing, funny, sweet, whatever. Often, a clacker more closely resembles your personality than a clicker does. And you do fall into a friendship. Of sorts. With a clicker, you'd be a zany wiseass, but with a clacker, you think things through a little more.

There's an X factor, and what's maddening is that you can't put your finger on what it is. In some cases, you and your fellow clacker (because afterall, the other person tends to think of you as a clacker as well, although he or she probably doesn't actually use the term - as I've, uh, made it up) even discuss that twinge of awkwardness that pops up with regularity. "I want things to be cool." "Well, I do, too." "OK." "Cool."

There are moments in which the clack clicks. You might make a quick-witted, snarky comment that would otherwise be reserved for the clickers or the close friends. Or you might have a really amazing conversation. You grin and laugh and think, "Hey, that was fantastic." Because it is. Clicks with a clacker are some of the best clicks around.

But then you start to wonder. Was it really? I mean, I thought it was, but was it? Did I sound like a dumbass? I didn't WANT to sound like a dumbass. The clacker really is cool and matters to me and all - wait a minute. Why on earth is this person still a clacker to me? We should have clicked already!

Fear not, friends. Sometimes it is possible for a clacker to ultimately become a post-clack clicker.

But here's reality: some don't. One must ultimately come to realize that while you click with some, you clack with others. You may have clacked with someone for a long time with the hopes of clicking one day, but it might just never happen. It's how it goes.

Which is when you have to ask yourself how you feel about being in a clack kind of friendship.

If you're lucky - which I've realized today that I am - you realize that you can be cool with clacking.

It's worth it for the moments you click.

*Try saying that five times fast. I did. It did not go well.

No comments: