7.13.2006

Childlike wildlife

Seen today: A tiny little sprite of a girl, sporting a honey-colored bob and a frilly princess skirt. She's straying away from the other children in the park, and the camp counselor calls out to her to "stay on the sidewalk. No ifs, ands or buts."

She looks back, looks around, then extends one foot as far out as she can, smacking it onto the dirt and grass. The other foot remains on the sidewalk, connected by a straining tip-toe stance.

She looks back again with a satisfied grin on her face. She's not breaking any rules, but she's making them work for her. Why? Because she can.

I think we grown-ups should remember to do that with more regularity.

***
I've begun working on a little project that's surprisingly more difficult than I would have imagined.

It consists at the moment of sheets of notebook paper loosely gathered into a pile near my bed. I'm hoping today to get a suitable notebook into which I can create an official compilation.

I'm working on writing about concerts. Not like what I've done in the past and posted here - although, come to think of it, I think a couple of early concert recaps here will probably make the cut. Hmm.

Anyway. I've encountered some amusing misadventures through my concertgoing days, and it's about time I stop relying on my memory (faithful as it is) and jot 'em all down. Dorky moments, surreal moments, hi-I-look-like-a-Jackass moments.

It's going to be funny, it's going to be honest and it's going to be really challenging to force myself to think back to those days and how I was feeling at the time. In many cases, things have changed drastically, and I have to try setting aside those alterations...and then see how I do.

It's been fun so far. I'll keep you posted.

***
Red Sox fans (or any sports fans who moan over high ticket prices): really fun story in the Globe today about sneaking into Fenway Park. I recommend you check it out, as I have a feeling a lot of people will reminisce about the thrill of figuring out how on earth they were going to get into some event or another.

***
Finally, a question for you: How've you been? What's been new? What's your thought of the day? Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments: