10.04.2005

Confessions of an unsuccessful mindreader

It's a given.

It's a Tuesday afternoon. Somewhere there are people who like me. There are people who are angry with me. Intrigued, disappointed, amused, frustrated and, if things are seriously wacky, who knows? Maybe there's a someone or two who is a little bit enchanted by me.

It's the same on any given day, due to any number of varying circumstances. The way things work.

Normally, I have at least an inkling as to which categories people fall under. Yet it feels today as if all bets are off.

I've no clue.

I'm of course sure that this works both ways, and that there are people who scratch their heads on different days, trying to figure me out, what goes on inside my mind when their names come up in my everyday thoughts.

Why do we insist on making this so difficult?

Various thoughts came to mind this weekend, few of which actually came out of my mouth. You're disappointing me...I like you...This is what I want to do...You make me smile...I'm tired...I think I'll just wait outside instead...I want to know what you're thinking.

I kept the thoughts to myself. In some cases, it was because of cowardice; in others, I didn't want to cause a scene or tarnish any of the experiences my friends were having. In almost every instance, I kept my mouth shut to make things better.

But sometimes that inadvertently makes things worse. Unnecessary complication instigated by an attempt to keep it simple.

And, likewise, I realized how much others were doing the same. What their reasons were remains unknown.

So have I learned a lesson? Will I endeavor to be upfront and clear? Will I tell people what I'm thinking of them when I'm thinking it?

If you give it a shot, I'll do the same.

Let's rework the way things work.
-----
In other news. Flickr. Photos. Fenway. Funny faces.

The alliteration slays me. Feel free to check out the adventures. Click on the photo below to go to the rest of the set.

The Common.

No comments: