3.28.2005

Stalked by Lloyd Dobler

I bit my finger last night. I had to, as it was late, my flatmates were asleep and I needed to do something to stop from bursting into peals of laughter as I stared at the computer screen.

Let's face it, satire only works when it rings true...and the gem of satire titled "Meet the Whimpster" strikes more than a couple of chords with this reader. Check it out and see if you laugh as much as I did...my personal favorite?

The drunken apologetic phone calls, the Craigslist missed connections, the messages of his burning heartbreak sent through mutual friends.

Flashback to an IM conversation: "He talked about you a lot. I think he views you as the one that got away."

HAHAHAHAHA.

The article was the second reference to Lloyd Dobler I came across within about a week, the first being an excerpt from a book I picked up today. From Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs:

It appears that countless women born between the years of 1965 and 1978 are in love with John Cusack. I cannot fathom how he isn't the number-one box-office star in America, because every straight girl I know would sell her soul to share a milkshake with that motherfucker. For upwardly mobile women in their twenties and thirties, John Cusack is the neo-Elvis. But here's what none of these upwardly mobile women seem to realize: They don't love John Cusack. They love Lloyd Dobler.

Haha - 1980, bitch, and I'm right there with the rest of 'em. I admit it. I embrace it. But I'm more of the Rob from "High Fidelity" Cusack fan than Dobler. Although he did make kickboxing look pretty badass.

The one problem with picking up this book is, however, that I now have the book with me. It's sitting right next to the computer, waiting to be read. And I want to read it. Right now. It's early spring rainy and drizzly, and the gray light outside seems only condusive for being blocked out by a warm lamp glow while one curls up under a blanket, sips tea and pours through a humorous book. Pausing on occasion to read bits of the book out loud to friends similarly curling, sipping and reading.

The book is just calling for this, but it's going to be hours upon hours until I can actually give it justice. So I'm going to put it away in a drawer and ignore it, with the hopes that I don't forget it when I leave.

No comments: