3.09.2005

"Have you made your wish today?"

status check - Feisty
background ambiance - Badly Drawn Boy, "A Minor Incident"

I'm in a love/hate kind of mood today. Blame it on the fact that I was up before bloody daybreak. Or laugh and be amused because I was up before daybreak. Let's be honest, I don't really care either or today.

Anyway, I've wound up viewing much of the day's events as either good or bad. A series of pros and cons in my mind, worthy of either kudos or curses. A sampling:

Kudos
- Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Thank you java gods for coffee.
- Elliott Smith for "Figure 8." I wrapped the songs around me like a much-loved blanket as I drove through the cold. I always abandon the album for too long, then pick it up again and love it like a long-lost friend.
- Beth for making me laugh and sing along to her amusing renditions of songs when I got home this morning. And, later, coffee (have you noticed a trend for the day?).
- Ryan Montbleau, for giving me a reason to make sure I stopped by Pure Pop to pick up a ticket for St. Patrick's Day revels.
- Badly Drawn Boy, for "Have You Fed the Fish?" I've meant to buy the album for, well, two and a half years now. Didn't until today. A brilliantly chaotic blend of Brit-pop, classic rock and flatout insanity. Kudos on top of kudos for "You Were Right" and the Jeff Buckley shoutout. Particularly in the bootleg version that came with the album.
- High school actors, for making me laugh.

Curses
- My alarm. For going off at 5:15 a.m., 5:25 a.m. and 5:35 a.m. I hate you.
- Mother Nature for this snowy hell.
- John Mayer, for "Daughters." Particularly when I had to hear it on the radio first thing this morning.
- Beth, for getting those songs stuck in my head during the one times I didn't want them there.
- Pure Pop/Higher Ground for playing upon the CD weakness I share with so many others. Go in to buy a single ticket, walk out with music. I'm a sucker for it every damn time.

For an amusing time, try calling me tonight. I feel sleep enough now - odds are good I sound either absurdly wired, loopy or half-asleep by 9! What fun!

No comments: