3.08.2005

Snow blows

status check - Disgruntled
background ambiance - matchbox twenty, "Long Day"

The bus starts to cross in front of you the moment you realize your brakes aren't, well, stopping your car.

First tap on the breaks, then finally press them to the floor. You can feel them trying...but the car's still MOVING...and the bus is still CROSSING...

And you start to put your hand on your gear shift to jam it into park. A slightly screwed-up transmission is better than the front of your car in the side of a bus...

And finally, right before you slam it into park, your car stumbles to a stop. Bus passes by no problem. And you have a few moments at the red light to start breathing again. Not to mention curse the snow, your car, Vermont, the fact that you woke up this morning and that you don't get snow days anymore.

I loathe thee, damn winter...

---------------
In other, non-griping news. I've been listening to a lot of matchbox twenty lately. I know, I'm as surprised as you are, as I never really listened to the band other than singing along to singles on the radio. Never had a problem with it, just never went nuts over them...but Beth let me borrow a copy of "Yourself Or Someone Like You" and I've been listening to it regularly ever since - capped with yesterday's blare-and-sing-along-while-driving "Long Day." I don't know, sometimes I think songs, even those that have been out for years, are supposed to find you at certain times. Or something.

Call it "Ryan Montbleau, Take Two." Or four, I should say, but that doesn't rhyme. Adding to my list of upcoming concerts RM's Paradise show in March. Yes, the one two days after Higher Ground. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a roadtrip. And it'll be fun to see him with my Boston concert partner in crime. Again.

And, to file under "Notes to Self", Higher Ground shows: M. Ward 4.13 (the day after Tori...hmm), Carbon Leaf 4.27.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huzzah - musical mayhem with a molarless M.

OK, not molarless, but factual accuracy would have messed up my alliteration. Anyhoo...

Glad you're down a toothache waiting to happen, although sorry the toothless ache kept you up last night (??? I had to read that twice after writing it). And glad you weren't observed.

And glad you're glad we'll both be glad when we're listening to Ryan at the Paradise. Pity you can't make it to HG for St. Patrick's Day Montbleau goodness...you'll be missed! Maybe I'll even drink a beer in your honor.

Well, maybe I'll just miss you instead.