3.29.2005

Last hope?


gaiety2
Originally uploaded by alternacoustic.
I walked by the Gaiety several weeks ago and was relieved to see the building still stood. I've been waiting for word to reach me that it had been demolished and the hopes I'd had for its resurrection were similarly destroyed. Really, it's only become a matter of time, as far as I was concerned.

I'd completely forgotten (until today) that there was another round of legal procedings. The last (that I'm aware of) hearing is scheduled to begin in about an hour, as two city councilors and a cultural group have asked the ZBA to decide wiether to reverse the demolition permit.

I'm going to be realistic here, considering all the backstory and shady business that's gone on with the Gaiety, in particular during the last four months or so. The odds are slim at best. The permit will likely be upheld and demolition will soon begin.

But one can hope that the ZBA gets a clue. One can hope a 97-year-old theater can be preserved. One can hope the mistreatment it's languished under can be erased through renovation and preservation.

I'm not ready to completely give up on it yet.

For an interesting read, check this out.

No comments: