3.25.2005

From the files

I dug through my archives last night, prompted by family members to remember the name of the Red Sox pitcher who started the first three games I attended during the 2003 season (for the record, it was Burkett - the Sox went 2-1 in those games). But as I searched, I came across the following snippet from March 25, 2002:

the good news: i think we have a band for the benefit concert.

And indeed, we did. Three years (and what? 18, 19 shows?) later, it amuses me to think of how I felt after realizing I'd found a band willing to help out with the show.

The project rules were pretty unforgiving: Dream big, work with no initial operating budget, put together an event and make it a success. Dreaming big, however, had kicked me in the ass, as the bands I thought would be willing to help out were quite creative in their ways of saying no. My initial thought was PMB (as I'd first seen them live at a benefit concert, after all), but that required thousands of dollars that I most certainly did not have (with that no initial operating budget component). The first hints at Mayer's imminent success became apparent when I was told he didn't have a set price, but took bids for shows. And Howie's manager told me he'd check with the musician to see if he'd be up for it, but schedules didn't work out and Howie, who was still touring around in his Explorer, didn't feel up for making the trip.

Michelle mentioned Averi, the band she'd seen at the Middle East the previous fall. I'd liked the CD she bought at the show (Funny to think of "At Wit's End" that way now), and I listened to her describe the energetic, well-received vibe created by the band during live performance. But I was shy and a little hesitant, which is funny considering I'd called up major managers and stated my case with no problem. Little to offer, but you WANT to perform at this show, people - that was my basic approach. She actually emailed to see if there was interest, then passed along a phone number for me to call.

So I did - and I explained what I was trying to do and that it was really an event with which people were "helping out."

And, for only the second time during the whole organization process (the first being the venue), I heard a voice on the other end of the phone say they were willing to actually help. Really help, actually.

I still have to laugh, remembering my dance of utter glee in the upstairs hallway of our house after I hung up the phone. "I've got a BAAAND, I've got a BAAAND!" Followed shortly after by "He was so NICE!"

I was so excited.

-------------
In other news. This whole Massachusetts thing is beyond absurd. I'm making the trip again tomorrow - this time for family purposes. Easter snuck up on me completely unawares until Tuesday, when Beth asked what I'd be doing for the weekend. I didn't think we'd be having the family get-together, as my parents have just returned from basking in Florida (as I picked them up at the airport at 1:30 a.m. yesterday morning, they actually dared tell me it was almost unpleasantly humid) and my brother's in Chicago. But it turns out most of the family (sans brother) will be spending the weekend together, so I'm hitting the road again tomorrow.

Which means Massachusetts this weekend, Vermont for the next two (at the moment, anyway). Massachusetts on the 12th to see Tori, with a return several days later for two-fold Red Sox revelry. And Nathanson at Endicott the following weekend.

Anyone else think I should just move already and save my car the anguish?

No comments: