3.16.2005

Soul Singing

It's interesting, walking into a show that should somehow be "big" or "special." Of course I look forward to any show I choose to attend, but when it's a rare opportunity or, in this case, a not-so-secret secret show, there's a little extra flutter in my stomach as the house lights finally go dark.

My spot in the fifth row of a relatively intimate club last night marked quite a difference from the last and only other time I'd seen the Black Crowes perform - River Rave at Foxboro. Thinking about it now, the two settings are about as far from each other as one could get.

I laughed good-naturedly at the sight of many concertgoers proudly clad in their Black Crowes T-shirts - I let my anti-band-performing-t-shirt stance slide for the night (I know, that I have such a stance shows my music snob side, but I can't fight it - it usually drives me nuts). The crowd was as expected, a mix of significantly older fans, boisterous college kids and the twentysomethings like myself somewhere in the middle. Everyone was excited, no one really seemed to know what to expect.

Among those in attendance, I noticed shortly before the incense was placed on stage, was Trey. Seemed appropriate enough, and he was just minding his business on the small VIP balcony above the corner of the bar. I wasn't terribly surprised, as a result, to see someone who looked suspiciously like Les Hall (Howie's keyboardist/guitarist on the full band tours and now keyboardist for Trey's latest project). Anyone happen to know if that was him?

Anyway. The Crowes came on about a half hour late, but performed for a solid two hours. My ears were ringing by the third song. Full out driving, twangy, Black Crowe-goodness rock, led by Chris, in all his eccentric glory. The man is just fascinating to watch and listen to. They focused on the fast-tempoed portions of their canon, but truth be told, it's all blending together in my mind already. I just focused on the sound and dancing along.

After a long encore break, I started to get nervous. I saw the crew set up a small amplifier, and I had a feeling I knew what was coming. I was probably one of the few in the crowd who hoped it wouldn't happen.

When the band took the stage again, Chris actually said something other than "Thank You." Shock of all shocks! But it was part of an introduction for the musician sitting in on the encore...yep. Trey.

I should interrupt my recap for a moment to explain the Trey thing. I'm not a big Phish fan. There are two songs I like, the rest I just have never clicked with. Despite growing up in Vermont, despite college in the Burlington area, the Phish thing just never happened for me. No, I didn't go to Coventry. No, I wasn't upset about it. And my main Phish experience was walking into a Cumby's during college and having Trey run into my shoulder in the doorway. He didn't say excuse me, by the way.

Despite my Phish ambivalence, I've wound up seeing him perform in various locations. I admit it, he's good. But there's this whole hushed "Trey" vibe around this area that just makes me chuckle. He's just a musician, for Christ's sake.

Anyway, back to the story. The encore was great. Trey jammed and, I should acknowledge, he was great. I've never denied that he's a brilliant musician, composer, etc. And he certainly demonstrated it. I just get irksome whenever it seems like he comes close to stealing someone else's thunder - and I've seen that occur on several occasions. Whatever.

Everyone seemed into the show throughout, but didn't let completely loose until the last song. Myself included. How can you not just have a blast and dance around when you have an extended jam performance of "Hard to Handle" performed in front of you?

Exactly.

No comments: