3.14.2005

I unabashedly adore Nick Hornby.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious," comes the cry from the regulars. And they'd be right - this is nothing new - I've long regaled Hornby's works, ever since I first discovered the film version of "High Fidelity" because there was a Belle & Sebastian reference.

So yes, I've often said I enjoy Hornby's work. It's nothing particularly new. But when you love something (in this case, an author's work), it's important to restate that from time to time. Particularly when you have something new to further support your statement.

I'm reading "Fever Pitch." I'd wanted to read it for awhile now, but was finally prompted to seek the book out upon seeing a trailer for the American-ized, Red Sox-ized film version (xoxoJimmyFallonxoxo). I found the book buried in the "Sports - Soccer" section of the bookstore on Saturday and have been devouring it since, although I've forced myself to not read it in a single sitting like I often wind up doing.

I loved "High Fidelity" (how could I not?). "About a Boy" made my 2002 flight from Albany to Salt Lake City race by far more pleasantly than any inflight movie could have. "Songbook" had Bruce Springstein, Rufus Wainwright, Ani, Ben Folds Five, Badly Drawn Boy, and Van Morrison included, to my utter glee.

But it's been "Fever Pitch" that's made me realize just why I enjoy Hornby's work so much. Of course there's the fact that he demonstrates a plain-spoken, witty sort of conversational tone to his writing - which is what I enjoy best and aspire to with my own writing. But more so? He gets me - he thinks the same screwy way that I do.

I don't have the book here with me (I forced myself to leave it at home so I actually get something accomplished today), but there's a passage in which he talks about associating important moments in his life with the corresponding football games (football of course being soccer in its proper form). He remembers details about the games that few others would remember - date, score, opponent, et al. The memories take on a split-screen perspective in his mind.

I'll have to find the quote and include it here. It's really brilliant.

I have a list of calendar dates that remain firmly planted in my mind, a list that prompts chuckles and playful eyerolls from my friends. 1.7, 2.2, 4.30, 6.18, 11.12, etc. I always associate those dates with a particular musical experience. For the past two January 7ths, I've had at least some moment when I flash back to the lightheaded, faint feeling that forced me out of Iota during a soundcheck and onto the 10-show "Mraz Miss Tour" that finally ended when I saw Jason perform in Northampton (10.9, for the record). I recently wrote about my February 2 streak, one that started with the first time I saw Howie Day perform. On June 18, I think of standing in the front row at Paradise, looking up at Howie and John Mayer as they performed in front of me. There are many others.

I'm the person who will emphatically attach significance to shows without even really realizing it until my friends laugh. "Well, this is going to be great. First time seeing Guster perform in the band's homestate!" "First time seeing Howie solo since the Dual Day Day of 2002!" Yes, I admit it. I actually said both of those.

Sure, it's a little dumb of me, but it's the way my mind works. But I often keep those thoughts to myself, by which I mean myself and maybe my two closest friends who know me well enough to guess what I'm thinking. But reading "Fever Pitch," I've burst into laughter on numerous occasions. I read several passages to Beth over the course of the weekend, prefaced with, "Sound familiar?"

She laughed and nodded each time. It was clear to her, too, that Hornby has unknowingly found in me an extraordinarily captive audience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a diehard Arsenal fan who happens to live in the States I guess this is the one plus-side to this moving being made. When I first heard it was coming out I was aghast simply because I couldn't understand how you could turn it from a movie about football to one about baseball. But if it gets more people over here knowledgable about the Arsenal then I guess I'll take it.

Anonymous said...

That's very understandable. Particularly as I've nearly finished the book. The licenses that are being taken are extreme, I acknowledge. Most obviously the switch from football to baseball, of course. But also the clear fact that they're taking a life story, a memoir, and building a story arc around it. Hello!?!?

But as I've read it, I've been struck by the passion Hornby has for football - which taps into my life and so many people I know who have the same, obsessive, almost-borderline-bonkers love for the Sox...the only way the movie COULD be made for an American audience would be to have it be about the Sox.

Now does that mean it SHOULD? That's up for discussion. Personally, I'm just psyched it is. And psyched for you that Arsenal could get more attention - I've enjoyed what I've been reading about the club. They sound like my kind of football team.

Anonymous said...

True I mean I acknowledge that at it's core it's still about the same thing. And Hornby himself did write the screenplay.

I didn't actually watch the trailer until just now, and I have to admit the overall feel is still the same. WHich I like. It just pains me that it's not about Arsenal Football Club, because I remember reading that it had been picked up by to be remade here in the states and I almost peed my pants with joy. Then I heard it was going to be about the Sox. There went the desire to pee.

Either way I'll still go see it, and hope that somewhere hidden away in the movie are some "easter eggs" about Arsenal.

Also Fever Pitch is one of the reasons I fell in love with Arsenal. I had always liked football, and grew up playing it. I also knew that I hated Manchester United, and knew I usually supported the team that everyone likes to hate or teams who're usually full of blue-collar-ish players [Steelers, Penguins] so Arsenal were right up my ally. You should try watching a game on TV of 'em. We play some amazing football.

Also as an aside, the fact you're going to see Matt Nathanson is another huge plus in my book. Consider yourself bookmarked and 'bloglined'.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we, in many respects, view teams the same way. Well, beyond Boston teams. I still maintain that my parents were instilling in me a sense of love for the Sox, Celtics, Bruins and Pats from the womb.

But most of the other time, I wind up supporting teams that are below the radar at the time - I like finding something different than everyone else - and thus giving some unexpected support to a hardworking, less-showy team.

I went to the Arsenal website last night - I'm going to do some research. Football was my favorite sport growing up - I miss playing it something dreadful.

Knowing what I know of Hornby (which, admittedly, isn't much beyond his books, but still), I'd be shocked if there wasn't some form of easter egg harkening back to Arsenal. I'll be looking forward to trying to see if I can pick it/them out.

And as for Matt Nathanson - oh he just makes me happy. I've been listening to him for a few years now and I just think he's fabulous. I'll actually be seeing him twice in April - the Endicott show as a headliner, and opening for Tori in Boston. The friend I'm going to the Tori show with has been laughing at me because I seem more excited about seeing Matt. I can only half refute that claim. ;)