3.12.2004

winter's last stand

it's trying its damndest to torment me once again, but i'm embracing this morning's bout of blustery winter weather. what? i know, the gal who's been cursing winter like it's going out of style is fine with some snowflakes? yep.

because i know it's one last frenzied flurry of white stuff. one last chance to wrap a scarf around my neck and pull my knit hat over my head for warmth. one last cup of coffee bought primarily as a way of keeping my hands warm as i walk to work. i can look at the spring and summer fashions in shop display windows and think to myself, "soon. soon." i can enjoy the spots of cold hitting my face as i look up at the snowflakes coming down because i know i won't be enduring it with regularity again until months upon months from now.

it's a vermont winter and i know there's no way it is going to go out without a fight. so for today, i'll bundle up and feel the chill - i know the snow will be melting shortly after it hits the ground and flowers will be popping up from the ground in no time.

my good mood is further bolstered by the fact that it's friday (always a bonus) and a story i greatly enjoyed writing was published today. besides the fact that it was fun for me, i had email and a voicemail waiting for me, thanking me for the story. the voicemail said it was "a beautiful story about a beautiful gesture." i thought it was a beautiful message to lead.

and, i wish someone would take the higher ground building. it's free! no, i'm serious.

No comments: