11.20.2005

What's more alarming - that Kevin Smith brought Jay and Silent Bob to "Degrassi" or that I was so excited to rent the two-episode DVD?

It's a toss-up, I know.

The frightening thing is that the episodes are brilliant. Irreverent, witty, chock full of Canadian jokes and self-deprecation - the only thing missing was a Jason Lee cameo.

But we did get Canadian ninjas, so that nearly makes up for it.

I am a Kevin Smith junkie. Like countless others in my generation, I have spent years giggling or outright guffawing at the crude jokes laced into surprisingly savvy social commentary. "Chasing Amy" remains my favorite Smith movie; my crush on Lee has continued despite the bad hair and moustache of "My Name is Earl."

A two-stint episode on the Canadian version of "Fifteen" should hardly have left me shaking with laughter, but thoroughly amused I was. Smith did his homework and fit fanciful lunacy into existing storylines and character relationships. He made Jay and Silent Bob fit in and stand out, and he even allowed to the bittersweet cliffhanger endings the show is known for.

And he even still managed to rag on Affleck.

I don't know what was being smoked when the idea originated, but as Smith made fun of "Mallrats," I was ready to shout out my approval.

Oh wait. That's right. I did.

Music: Tristan Prettyman, "Love, Love, Love"
- 1:30 p.m.

No comments: