11.02.2005

Self-sufficient

Turn a weakness into a positive. That's what they say in the seminars and practicums and, I'm sure, during the on-line help sessions designed to help you get what you want.

My various professors always clucked their approval when I tried my hand at the spin factor.

I'm very self-sufficient. While a team player, I sometimes feel the best way to help a team at the time is to do something effectively, lead by example instead of spending time explaining how it should be done. Because of this, I have a tendancy of taking on perhaps a bit more than I should. While I get it all done and do it well, I'm working on helping rather than doing. And asking for help when I need it.

I do things on my own. Quiet, certainly. But fiercy independent. I've no problem going to a movie on my own if no one else wants to go. I'm fine working on a project or a piece independently. I roll my eyes when someone explains that they want to do something, but can't because X doesn't want to.

You want it? Get it. You enjoy it? Do it.

I want something, and there isn't much time to work with. The time's not a problem. I can deal with that - the need to produce something quickly usually works in my favor.

The stumbling block is that I am entirely incapable of accomplishing the task on my own. I'm required to solicit the cooperation of others.

And the others I need to speak with are not cooperating. Whatsoever.

You wonder why I'm an independent person?

Simple. Because when you count on others, the others wind up fucking up all of your plans.

No comments: