11.09.2005

Same, different.

Those who choose to participate in National Novel Writing Month should be allowed at least one full day every week to do nothing but write.

Last night, I attempted to set aside the paragraphs I'd been working on and go to sleep. It didn't work, so I figured I'd write a little more and then go to sleep.

At 1 a.m., I forced myself to stop writing, turn off my playlist of Tristan Prettyman and Mieka Pauley and go to sleep. But actual sleep came closer to 2. I think.

Tired. Coffee. Still thinking about what I want to be writing.

So it goes.

Other than stressing over the phrasing and character introduction, things have been pretty much same as usual. I find I'm really listening to music more than usual - that is, focusing on the lyrical construction and the moods created by specific songs. And artists I don't usually include in my regular rotation. After downloading a number of tracks from her website, Mieka's proven to be particularly inspiring during this writing process, much to my surprise and delight. There's a lot of Blu Sanders playing these days. Jonathan Richman. The Damnwells. Some old school Billy Joel here, some Griffin House or Amos Lee there.

Keeping it interesting.

And I'm looking forward to getting down to Boston this weekend. Averi at Avalon with some of the girls - Michelle, Beth and Maura. If all goes the way I hope, a dash over to Somerville after that show to congratulate Andrew on his CD release. Catching up with Thomas and whatever else comes up. A quick weekend, but a good one. I think.

And that's really it from here. Fascinating, I know.

Or something.

No comments: