11.13.2005

Encore?

I'm not quite sure of what to say. A lot of thoughts this weekend, not sure about what words to put with them...

May 1, 2002:
and then there's averi. those little punkass creeps...alright, i can't even type that without laughing. averi was wonderful. averi is wonderful.

Full circle, in many respects. Because as I walked with Beth, Michelle and Maura to my car so we could head to the Skybar last night, I realized I was cursing Averi again. Those bastards made me cry at the Avalon.

And I don't cry at shows. Not that kind of girl.

I thought I was home free. I'd made it through watching the band take the stage and look a bit dazed at the size of the crowd. No problems during most of the songs I'd heard countless times. Made it through "Despondent" and Michael's sax solo that always makes me catch my breath.

It was, of all things, during "Flutter." Cliched, I know. The Boston song. The "aw shucks" song. The song I've teased and been teased about. The first song I listened to when I got home from the party after that first show.

And there I am, standing about seven rows back from the stage at Avalon. I hear that first goddamn chord and BAM.

Tears in eyes. And when you're trying to play it as if you're not just about to cry and you're wearing eye makeup that's going to run and your friends are going to see because they've been watching you watch the band...

Bastards. Punkass creeps, indeed. And yet, as I did cry (and just a tear, might I add, in the sentimental sort of way, not the Tori "Gold Dust" kind of way), I started laughing myself silly.

It was foolish, it was dopey and it didn't last long because I forced myself to resume singing along to the music. The show was an allout explosion of energy, and I spent most of the time sending that energy right back - dancing, singing along and otherwise letting myself just rock out to it.

But that moment was there and I went with it because I was thinking of how much had changed since that first Burlington show. What hadn't changed was my delight at being able to be in the audience, enjoying each moment.

And how proud of them I felt.

***

Speaking of being proud, the feeling carried over (albeit in an extraordinarily different way) to Somerville. Avalon had been packed for Averi, the Skybar was full with people celebrating Andrew's CD release. The man of the hour (er, evening) moved from group to group as the final few tracks off "Natural History" were piped through the speakers, and I was able to give the huge congratulatory hug I'd so hoped to give.

I couldn't help but feel happy as to have made the cross-town trip when the album ended, the audience burst into rounds of applause and A stepped on stage to give the clamored-for speech.

***
We fell into armchairs and onto couch cushions after walking through the front door.

"How was the day? How was the show?"

Grunts of response. Good. Busy. Which one? I quickly curled up into a ball on a chair and rested my head against the armrest. I closed my eyes and listened to the conversation through still-ringing ears.

And, for the record, they're still ringing a bit.

Weekend Roundup
(Click to go to the Flickr. Per usual.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, any way you can hook a girl up with a copy of the instant live disc? I couldn't make the Averi show, was the bro's bday.. I emailed the band info address but haven't gotten a reply, so I thought I'd send the request your way as well while I was at it. Name your price! Sounds like I missed a great show.

p.s. congrats on the new ipod :)

Victoria said...

Thanks, Justine! I'm such an iDork now. Love that thing...

Do you want an official copy of the Instant Live? If so, go to the following URL:

http://www.instantlive.com/show-detail.html?s=1217

It's not up there yet, but should be soon - that way you can get a notification when it's on the site, order it and then get it sent right to you. And you'll have to let me know what you think of it...the recording is one of the better Instant Lives I've heard.

Did you enjoy the brother bday?

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link, I didn't realize I could actually order it. the averi site had stated you had to be there to buy, they threw me off! i'll be sure to let you know.

the bday was great for him, we all chipped in and got him, surprise surprise, his own ipod. it's an epidemic!

Victoria said...

And the site said the show began at 7...um, yeah. Ha.

That's perfect. Priceless. We're all going to be replaced by robots, and no one will know because we all just have white earbuds coming out of our ears. iTakeover!