11.22.2005

Does anyone else remember the simplesimon mailings?

I recently came across a mention I'd made to a mailing a few years ago and, in the natural progression of things, went back over poetic musings sent long ago by a largely anonymous author to equally anonymous readers. If you happened across the site - I can't recall how precisely that came to be for me - you had the opportunity to sign up for posts from somewhere within New York.

I did. And just as I'd start to forget the simplesimon existed - or each time I began to assume the author had ceased with the venture - another mailing would be waiting for me in my inbox. Ready for consumption and, if I desired (and I often did), contemplation.

A smile came across my face as I saw the title of "today could be."

I loved those mailings, this one in particular.

people want to read stories
and poems and see movies and
they want them to be about
love and finding love and loving
love and losing it

and they tell their stories
and give people these labels
"the one that got away," that's
one, and the names and faces
correlate with an idea that
someday love will find them
drinking tea at night
when they've already given up looking

so they pretend to give up looking
and they tell themselves,
"i guess i am just one of the sad ones"
and they tie nooses around their necks
swallow too much of something or other
the things they use to kill them

or they will walk around with a glazed face
waiting for the person who recognizes those eyes
to come and step up to them
in the idle highway of the unexpected evening
The Night When Everything Changed:
so they keep markers by their calendars
so the box can be marked immediately,
as soon as the chance comes to do so,
The Day That Everything Changed.


*****
In other news. Tomorrow will be a flurry of writing, errands, battling the snowfall and, finally, a holiday-prompted excursion back onto highways that will lead me to Massachusetts, family and, schedules permitting, friends.

Mother Nature, I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

But I wanted to be sure to wish you a very, very happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: