11.30.2005

Title this "Changing, Remaining the Same"

It didn't feel fair, the prospect of picking sides.

But then the implied ultimatum was there, waiting to be read between the lines of sharp words and would-be boldfaced text. You are with him or you are with us. All of you. Pick.

I quietly chose. I wrote out an honest collection of words, read over and spell-checked once before it was sent. And I realized I'd chosen.

You want me to? Fine. I pick him.

I would have anyway, despite my efforts to downplay the decision. Everyone knew. But I resented them for making the decision that easy. It was supposed to be difficult.

Particular chunks of the old are being maintained for continuance, with little regard for the pieces that have been unceremoniously erased. There's seemingly little consideration about how we'll feel about seeing the old repackaged with new - same words, new voices.

I know I'll make the slightest of efforts - no more going out of my way - to see how it works out. Once. If it's convenient to me.

The fact that I feel so little of the enthusiastim and zest I've grown accustomed to is the biggest surprise of all.

The collective is now neither shiny and new nor familiar and comfortable. I'm not as bright-eyed and ready to be dazzled.

***
In other, sarcastically unrelated news: you needn't "quote yourself." Boldface accomplishes little. And dashes, if necessary, often work much better than ellipses.

Just sayin'.

No comments: