8.27.2005

Yin & Yang

The college kids have come back, so Burlington has been flooded by 12,000 youngsters looking for something - and someone - to do. I specifically avoided many of the places I've enjoyed during the brief summer respite. The first college weekend is craziness, and I am willing to give up my haunts for a short period of time. But next weekend? Oh, game on.

So I took to the places kids either don't know of or - much to my chagrin - the places they can't afford.

Not that I can, either, but I can fake it for the sake of sipping a Saturday night cocktail with friends in relative peace.

I was at such a place this evening, drinking a Stoli Raz and Sprite (a drink that brings back interesting college memories of my own, oddly enough) when an acquaintance of my friend switched subjects, unleashing one of the most unexpected, brilliant monologues I've ever heard. Even trying to recapture it won't do it justice.

We forget that we're adults, that we have control over our destinies. There's fear, there's skepticism, there's a sense that we're not going to be able to accomplish what we want to do, so we don't even try. It's too late, we say. But know what? Fuck that. It's never too fucking late. The majority of the people who make it in whatever they want to do? They didn't start out on this track and just keep shooting up. They realized that whatever they were doing wasn't something that satisfied them. They decided to turn things around and follow their passion. They worked. And they did it. And it doesn't matter if you're 28. 32. 40. Fuck it, if someone's 80 and they want to do it, they can do it. It's your mindset. It's not some fucking god-given right to be a success. You make your destiny. Not anyone else. And it's NEVER too late. There are NEVER factors beyond your control. Take those fucking factors and turn them around in your favor. And if they're tough, you work them until you beat them. And then you join the ranks of those who have made it. And you appreciate it. Seriously.

I proposed a toast, and the three of us clinked our glasses with determined gusto. That first sip afterwards - it tasted divine.
-----------
I was still thinking about what he said as I made the walk home. Up Church, over to Pearl, crossing the various side streets until I would ultimately reach my little domesticated spot. I tried to ignore the college kiddies running about with glee.

Hey, I remember how it was to return to Burlington ready to take on the classes, the parties and - by partway through senior year - the bars. Can't fault them for what I thought of doing myself, right?

Which is why we'd played along with the guys who tried telling us that the bar to which we were walking had closed. "Oh really? I mean, it does look a little dark, but the music sounds loud, did they forget to turn off the PA? Yeah, we might be here for a bit. Mmmmhmmm..."

So, as I made my way home, I ignored the first "Hey, beautiful. How you doin?"

I walked right past the "Hey, sexy thang."

I only rolled my eyes at the driveby, "Hiiiiiii there, little lady."

But I have to admit that I did burst into laughter after walking past a porch full of (really young-looking) guys, the most brazen of whom actually hooted. Like he was calling to a golden retriever. "Hooo! Baby girl! You! The one walking by! Hoooo!"

Honey.
That wouldn't have even worked on me when I was a co-ed.
And it won't get me to go out and buy you beer.
Sorry, sweetie.

It felt good, if not a little strange, to realize that I was happy to be a grownup.
-----------
Hospital update: My brother is fine. Well, it turns out that he does have strep, so it was good that he went to get it checked out. But he has antibiotics and has assured me that he's going to rest up and take care of himself so he's back and healthy as quickly as possible.

He told me he'd made a stop at the store earlier today, where he picked up necessary items for a low-key recovery night.

Ginger Ale.
Soft bread.
And the Luden's wild cherry cough drops.

Love it.
-----------
And finally, in news I would include (or not include) in a more witty, charismatic manner had I not partaken in previously mentioned cocktails, I had a fabulous day.

- Margaritas in the middle of the afternoon? Why not? It was hot out and there was an open outdoor table. Lovely.

- I partook in something in which I hadn't partaken in about five years. Memories of the Playhouse summer flooded back.

- My toes are now cute, adorable and accented with a lovely shade of corally orange. Pedicures are fun. Massage chairs are heavenly, although the kneeding conducted electronically on my back brought back memories of theater festival massages. A has finally been bumped down to the second hardest massage I've ever received. My birthday is in early November. Feel free to start pooling together funds to buy me a massage chair for a gift.

- I finally bought myself a copy of my second favorite book. If the weather forecasts for tomorrow are accurrate, "East of Eden" will be devoured (again) from a prime spot in the sunporch tomorrow (along with the latest issue of "Under the Radar"). Orange toes and Steinbeck? Life's pretty damn grand.

No comments: