8.16.2005

"Hey, it's me. I hope your run went well. We're down at Battery Park, and we're going to do some reading and relaxing until sunset. We brought out cameras. You should come join us! Give me a call, talk to you soon. Bye."

I brought my notebook, with every intention of doing some writing as I relaxed in the grass. But I never got the chance. Instead, I walked along ledges, climbed onto rocks and tried to capture the oranges, pinks and blues shining across the lake.

The three of us had each remarked on the fact that the summer has been so busy - and that we hadn't been around for very many weekends - that we hadn't appropriately appreciated the fact that we live a short walk from one of the most gorgeous sunset sites around. We'd made a few ventures, of course, but the days were quickly starting to shorten and the air would soon grow crisp with the approaching autumn.

I tried to look at everything as if I'd never seen it before. I played with light and shadow, using my camera to capture the backlit trees, buildings and visitors against the quickly deepening oranges. I looked into the canon, actually read the Battery Park sign. I watched C's profile as he propped his foot against a railing; I tried to sneak a photo of his contemplation without his knowledge. I did the same with a bicyclist, a nun and a couple of pedestrians. They all looked so peaceful as they stared out over the water.

I likewise tried to remain oblivious to the fact that B was again turning the photographic tables on me, laughingly documenting my documentation of an evening sunset.

We walked toward the waterfront, stopping first at a fountain that I'd never seen actually spout water, then a cafe along Battery Street, where we ordered black raspberry soft serve cones. C took his raspberry-vanilla swirl and held it against the sky.

"Look, I'm eating the sky," he said. The pink and white swirls streaked in a pattern not unlike that above our heads.

B turned to look at the darkening sky, which had taken on shades of green, blue and purple.

"Looks like the sky is bruised."

As the bruises faded, we turned to return up the hill toward the dark blue night sky.
----------
In other news. I'm starting to put together the Madness That Is October Schedule and figuring out when I'm going to take a vacation and take in all of the craziness scheduled to approach that month.

Thus far, I've got two "Mr. A-Z" stops (Montreal and Boston); one or two Nathanson Paradise shows; a possible Montbleau CD release; one Nickel Creek and, from what I hear, Alex Woodard. I know I'm missing something. Can't think of what it is.

Anything else I should add to the list of probables? Drop a comment and let me know.

Speaking of shows. THE HOTEL CAFE TOUR AT PARADISE LOUNGE ON SEPTEMBER 10. Hello.

That weekend will be lovely. SK & the Sixers Friday in Vermont. Cary Brothers, Joshua Radin and TOM MCRAE Saturday in Boston.

Game on.

1 comment:

Tagami said...

I had a chance to record Alex with Ike yesterday. First time I had heard him. Once he warms up, he can really let go!

Check out the video I did as part of a vlog mash-up.

http://tagami.com/2005/11/18/alex-woodard-expression-college-emeryville-ca/