8.25.2005

Make it two, please. AND PandaCam

I woke this morning to a phone call. My mother, calling to say well done. Hearing "yours was better" led the way to consciousness much better than an alarm would have.

(As I'd dozed my way through several rounds with the snooze button at this point.)

It was a good start to the day.

It continued when the phone rang again, as I was brushing my teeth. Similarly worded sentiments by a similarly thoughtful person. "Way to go!"

Another as I approached the parking garage. "Hey, look at you!"

And one more, the most unexpected of all, as I logged into my email. "Nicely done."

I was proud. I'd expected to do well, but there were moments of frazzled doubt - and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these kinds of things. The relief that washed over me felt incredible. I was ready to meet up with friends for drinks and Mexican in the early evening.

I was going to celebrate.

I sit here now, tired and cantankerous. The weight settled back onto my shoulders, due to something I can't directly influence.

I feel like a well-weathered cog.

At least the first hopeful glass of the evening's frozen margaritas will be needed to bolster my spirits.

Hopefully the second pitcher will celebrate my successes of the day.
----------
In other news. J is in big trouble, as she got me hooked on the PandaCam.

The National Zoo offers the service, but I'm watching from Animal Planet's mirror and I have no idea why I am so enthralled. The mother panda and her baby. OK. On camera. Pretty simple stuff.

But you start watching - or, actually, I start watching. And they're asleep. So I keep the window open while I do everything else I need to do. And just as I start to click on something else...

THE PANDAS MOVED! OH THEY'RE SO CUTE! OH LOOK AT THE BABY AS THE MOTHER LOOKS LIKE SHE'S GOING TO ROLL OVER ON TOP OF IT! OOOOOOOOH!

Silly of me to watch? Yes. But have I closed that window yet?

Hell no, they just moved to the mother sitting on a rock.

Can't turn away now!

No comments: