2.21.2004

insommmmmmnia

i'm sitting here in my living room, curled up on my favorite corner of the enormous pineapple couch. i always sit in this one spot. most likely because it's the corner closest to my table and lamp, also because it's closest to my computer. but you'd think that i'd give the rest of the couch at least a taste of equal opportunity sprawling. nope, it's this corner. even my papason chair is starting to feel the neglect, as it waits for me to cuddle deep in its center in the living room's bohemian nook, with windows, album covers and concert posters on the walls.

i'll settle back into you soon, dear chair. and couch, fear not - i have not forgotten you.

saw "lost in translation" tonight. i'd contemplated purchasing the dvd a few days ago, when i stumbled across a bargain on it while shopping with becca and michelle. i tried to be economical and hold off on the purchase. a few days later, with a sky full of snowflakes and an evening of empty relaxation, i caved and bought it - for a slightly less amazing deal. such is life.

as i expected, i thought it was brilliant. wasn't particularly keen on portions i won't reveal (i'm not a spoiler kind of gal), but it was absolutely fantastic overall. bill murray was once again the unknowning recipient of my esteem while i scored scarlett johanssen for being so fucking talented and beautiful. it's amazing how a film that deals with so little can deal with so much.

continuing the recent trend of transcontinental thoughts prompted by "under the tuscan sun," i now want to visit tokyo. just once and i'd be happy, even if only for a single night. while it looked incredibly interesting by day, i want to see the city by night and feel as if i've stepped a good fifty years into the future.

i had an open invitation to visit japan once - i wonder if the offer still stands. do open invitations ever come with an expiration date? i'd like to think that i could, if i ever found the means and latest contact information, have a smiling face waiting for me at the airport in tokyo were i to ever make the trip. i was promised a few years ago that my likeness would face the japanese horizon - i am confident that it did. that driver's license must have loved japan. i wonder where it is now.

i couldn't help but laugh when the movie ended and i wandered onto my back porch to clear my fuzzy head. my eyes were slightly glazed in my dozy state and i stared out at the house across the yard from mine. a party was raging down the street, the drunk giggles and shouts echoing as they reached my ears. i stared out, not really looking at anything in particular until my eyes focused on the blinking red lights of a tower in the distance. considering the use of similar lights in the movie, i felt like charlotte (scarlett's character) for a brief moment, staring out with the same half-present expression, wondering why i was still awake and realizing that it was not because there was anything in particular to keep me awake. sleep wanted to descend on me, but simply hadn't made the effort yet.

i just didn't have a bill murray around to help bide the time until it decided to. pity.

even now, as i type, my eyelids droop and my head rests against this couch arm. i'm only half awake as is ... so ready to fall asleep. but when i was in a similar state last night, i crawled into bed and stared at my walls for a good hour. i don't want the same to happen tonight. perhaps i should read. maybe i'll bring the computer into my room and listen to music until i fall asleep. not sure.

should mention that i picked up a copy of sondre lerche's full-length album this evening as well (i apologize if i butchered the spelling and will probably fix it tomorrow if i was incorrect). not sure what i think of it at the moment. just as i begin to form an opinion, a new track makes me rethink things. i'm not insanely crazy about it, i can say that with confidence. not bad, not grand. much like the steadman album i picked up awhile ago. listened to it a couple of times - haven't done so again in awhile.

the same was the case with matthew jay. until today, that is. for some reason, "the clearing" popped into my head and i've been unable to shake it. so i decided to give the album another listen and wound up liking it more than i'd anticipated. always a pleasant surprise.

I fall asleep and meet you there
And bring you into a strange affair
You live and breathe in other minds
And sell my future a thousand times

No comments: