6.01.2005

You asked.

Here are my replies to the first batch of questions. If I get more, I'll happily post responses to those as well.

If you could take back one single decision that you have made in your life since your first year in college, what would it be? And if you say "living with you second semester" I will be forced to fight you! - J

I had the schedule set nearly as soon as I arrived on campus. Spring semester of junior year, interested parties would find me in London. I certainly was not going to miss out on the experience of studying abroad.

The plan, like all grandiose ideas I wind up having, took a screwy turn as I prepared to fill out the forms. I could study in London or I could pave my way to be editor of the campus paper. Both opportunities hinged on that particular semester.

I chose to start learning the editing ropes so I'd be set to step into the top spot senior year. Because I had, after all, said since seeing the first issue freshman year that I wanted to be executive editor of that paper.

And I was. And we did some really good things. But I missed out on London and have been trying to figure out a way to get there to at least visit ever since. I promised myself that I would/will get there, but the reality of life right now (student loans, bills, work responsibilities) have yet to make it happen.

All of the other decisions I've made - some good, some bad - I can rationalize. But I think that was a deceptively huge decision and I might not have made the best choice. I have no idea of where I would be now had I gone - and my romantic idealism makes me wonder every once in awhile.

I never see you make any sort of mention about relationships with any guys. Are you just not talking about them because you don't want to? Or are you just too busy with work and then going to all these different awesome shows that you don't really care? - M

For a long time, I've been marked by my shyness. I've also been known to be fickle and convince myself that potential for a relationship with a great guy will be marred by lofty ideas of moving to a new place or that fact that I'll just screw it up. I'm really working now on keeping my eyes on where I am, not where I might ultimately be. So I'm confident that I'll have something to report on this front at some point soon, but I've also made myself into a pretty independent person for awhile.

My friends often say I can come off as intimidating or standoffish, when it's really just that I'm shy and feel awkward when I'm not comfortable around people with whom I wish to make a good impression. And I, like many other single twentysomething females, have been marked by some screwy situations that have left me trying to shake off the self-doubts implanted thanks to some better-left-behind-yet-not-quite-forgotten men.

Plus there's are several other facts (listed in no particular order): I get skittish at the thought of a guy I'm interested in coming across my musings here, I don't half-ass my emotions, I'm idealistic and I'm a hopeless romantic. And fine, the fact that Theo Epstein has yet to propose and Orlando Bloom hasn't shown up on my doorstep with the dozen long-stemmed red roses also make things tricky.

Bastards.

p.s. The reference to "all these different awesome shows" made me smile. For the record, I have said that I'm waiting for the guy who will perform Howie Day's "She Says" (guitar and vocals) for me. *Sigh*

Come on, what do you really think of C? - B

Truth? I try not to. But I know of several readers who will laugh and comment that I'm a liar if I say "I don't."

From the limited glimpses of insight I'd been given, I still see a great deal of myself when I look at him. We share some personality traits, both postive and negative. So I can't be terribly surprised when I see or hear things I'm not crazy about. 'Cause I know I've done the same exact thing, much as it's annoyed me.

But, as I said, these glimpses were limited, I don't have enough knowledge to make an accurrate assessment. So I don't anymore. Perceptive as I may be.

That said, I think there's a great guy there. And I find him to be quite brilliant at what he does.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha well I'm mostly jealous because now that I've moved to FL I can't see very many good shows/bands that normally come up to the North East and I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

If you had to lose one of your five sense which would you choose?

Anonymous said...

senses*

Anonymous said...

Are you silent or noisy during sex?

Anonymous said...

If you could have any view in the world visible from your bed, what would it be?

Anonymous said...

If you could suddenly find out that one work of fiction was actually true, what book would you select?

Anonymous said...

In your opinion, what flavor of ice cream would best describe your disposition?