6.02.2005

Hey, hey...

Poor flatmate C. He's dutifully completing his nightly tasks when squeals burst through the apartment. They're coming from the living room.

"REWIND THAT!"

By the time he enters the room, B and I are crouched on the floor in front of the television. Our faces are about a foot from the screen, and we're replaying a three-second clip of the program we've been watching.

C. takes the sight in.

"Is that -"

"Yes!"

"How old is he now?"

"32. Born December 31, 1972 -"

"Sometimes it would be better if you don't open your mouth," B interrupts me with a laugh.

We turn back to the television. We know this move well. She saw it in Saratoga, during the "Donnie fell through the stage" show. I saw it in Richmond and Montreal, during the "Hangin' Tough" and "Magic Summer" tours.

The first time I took in the sight, my father had driven 12 hours so I could attend the concert with my equally-obsessed pre-teen cousins. I wore blue leggings and two layers of scrunched socks. My hair was pulled into a high side ponytail, the ends crimped and hairsprayed. My band shirt was on proud display - the shirt my grandfather had given me for Christmas several months before.

(At that young age, I had yet to learn The Rules of Concertdom. But let's face it - rules about concert t-shirts are suspended when boybands become involved.)

After the show, my father listened to Nikki, Nina and I prattle on about the show and the fact that Joe had waved to our corner of the arena - which naturally meant he had waved to us. "We got 12 times during 'Hey, hey, I feel alright.'" I was a nine year old girl swooning over a crowd-encouraged series of pelvic thrusts.

Huh.

15 years later and he's still got it. This move is slower, more pronounced and coupled with a canary-yellow-clad dancer. Just one, but he's perfected it with just the right lip curl and downturned eyes.

It's been a decade and a half and it still makes me giggle.

I never voted for "American Idol" or any of the other "call and vote" shows. But I picked up the phone and tried to cast a vote for Joey McIntyre on "Dancing with the Stars."

It felt as if the end of my hair was crimping as I dialed.

No comments: