6.28.2005

Sour Caroline

I picked up the phone when it began to vibrate.

"Hello?"

"CAN YOU HEAR ME?" My mother's voice was slightly shrill, very excited. I could hear the roar of fans behind her.

"YES."

"I CAN BARELY HEAR YOU. DID YOU SEE WHO'S GOING IN?"

"No, who?" My flatmate and our guest were watching "Law & Order."

"FOULKE. WE ARE SOOOOOOOO SCREWED!"

Turns out we were. My mother's first venture to Fenway this season, and Foulkey gives up a grand slam with two outs, two strikes in the top of the ninth. The inning followed a five-run Red Sox sixth, but Keith got into his head. Again.

But I got the traditional family call during "Sweet Caroline," so I sang along and laughed with my mother, who sounded so excited to be there at the park.

Now, I find myself staring at "Extra Innings," watching the grand slam over and over. Can't not. But at this moment, Bronson's talking about his album and the CD release I have promised myself I can't go to. Middle of the week. Saving for New York.

Can't go.

I really can't.

But I reeeeeeeally want to...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Coco Crisp!!!!

Victoria said...

I hate to blow the surprise, but you already know what your next present (for whatever holiday I deem appropriate) is going to be.

I'll convert to the Cereal side once I see L. Charms put in as a pinch runner. Or maybe C. Chocula.

Because I know there's only one who can truly adore the C. Crisp.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA. Perhaps Frosted Flake will be the next big thing!

Victoria said...

Moxie Crimefighter becomes the first female major league baseball player.