6.10.2005

Cool jazz

The weekend revelry of JazzFest is kicking off.

I walked to City Hall Park, where the big band sound from the other side of the municipal building prompted park visitors to dance about. It was impossible to keep a straight face at the pulse of the bass drum and wail of the trumpet. As I walked the alley walkway to Church Street, I passed a woman who grinned and bobbed her head back and forth as I passed.

A turn left up Church. A young man in a fedora was walking ahead of me, snapping his fingers with his greatest Sinatra gusto. The street benches were full of people looking at the City Hall stage, and a crowd was meandering over to the temporary venue.

As I walked toward College, the sound blended with another performance, perhaps a block farther up the way. This was cooler, smoother sound. Strictly jazz. The two styles meshed to form an unexpectedly fitting medley.

I had to turn onto College and head back in - out of the thick, humid air into air-conditioning and phone calls. I wished I could stay outside and take in the festival spirit.

In time, in time. A few more hours and I'll be able to play with the jazz lovers.

No comments: