5.25.2005

Unavoidable Entendre

TheDecemberists

Sometimes the situation arises in which one realizes any attempts at describing an event is going to involve phrases that could be misconstrued. When faced with this conundrum, one can either choose not to follow through with the description or one can embrace the snicker potential.

That said, I was one of hundreds of people who wound up on their knees for Colin Meloy last night.

I wasn't feeling well yesterday evening and had decided not to attend The Decemberists show at Higher Ground when the clock hit 9 and I was hit by an overwhelming need to not waste my already-purchased ticket. I walked out of my apartment with the announcement to my flatmates that I would be home by 10.

And returned at about 11:15, holding an Instant Live copy of the performance and raving about the set.

So much for extra sleep.

A jam during "The Chimbley Sweep" brought the drummer to the mic, Colin to the drums, the upright bass to the electric bass, the electric bass to the upright and the violinist to her knees in the middle of the stage to pick at the guitar with her teeth in true rock violinist form. After everyone reclaimed their places on the stage, they followed her suit and descended to their knees. And then the front row, the second row and the third row knelt. We all followed their lead - which is why I found myself in the unexpected (EVER) position of kneeling on the floor at a show. As the tempo picked back up, the crowd jumped back up, screamed and danced about.

Hope it was as good for them as it was for me. Mmmhmm.

No comments: