5.16.2005

Notown Philly

Congratulations, kids - some of you have played a role in the most random start to a week in V history. The whole series of unexpected events began while I was unconscious at 4 a.m. this morning, as B discovered that one of the only things on television at that time is "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air."

Be prepared, Philadelphia becomes a theme here.

I became aware of the bizarre nature of the day upon logging onto my email and discovering a "friend request" from one of those online networking sites I know and love so dearly. I get a number of these on a regular basis, mainly from musicians hoping I check out their sound, but this one was from an actor - namely, the actor who provided the highlight of my 20th birthday with a surprise email (after my then-director informed him that he was my favorite member of the traveling troupe that had just returned to town for a couple of shows). This also makes him the actor with whom I played phone tag during both of my ACTF festivals before meeting up after a performance of "Romeo & Juliet."

Then I notice a particularly interesting vistior (or, rather, domain name) to this little space here. To that visitor, I say this: can I come work with you?

THEN I decide to see if I can rearrange things in June, as I decide it's time to make my first visit back to Maine since I was too young to really remember. Averi, Todd "Would you like me to spill your drink too?" Martin and Syd. I'm still playing around with this idea.

I decide to call my newest concertgoing partner in crime to see if she'd be game for a trip to Maine and whine about the lack of Bushwalla that will be in my life this week. Can I go to a show Friday? "Only if he's opening for the Ryan Montbleau Band at Higher Ground."

And then, I hear of a show that I would normally hop into the car and make a crazy roadtrip down for. A show in Philly. A show that would make for endless misadventures of the best variety.

That occurs on the same night my favorite national band will be playing in my hometown for the show I have been thrilled about for months and for which I have a gaggle of friends coming together.

Thus rendering the crazy road trip moot.

It's going to be an incredible weekend that I want to arrive as quickly as humanly possible. But the fates have to throw something my way, reminding me that no matter how much I plan, how much I am looking forward to something, there's always the chance of something else that I have to say no to.

Fucking fates.

But overall, I've felt a change in the air as of late. I feel as if there's something exciting around the corner, waiting to arrive. As if I should walk around saying "It's all HAPPENING," because the forces coming together for something grand.

I'm just not sure of what it is just yet. And I've never been good at being patient.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You, B, C, another crazy concert type person, maybe one other person and perhaps someone I went to high school with. That does a gaggle make.