5.13.2005

And this is why...

...I love Cameron Crowe.

Looking for something else, I happened across C^2's official site this afternoon. Upon examination (as I'm a bit of a Cameron Crowe junkie), I find the online journal he kept for the filming of "Elizabethtown," a movie I've been anxiously awaiting for months upon end.

Something happens in that hall of trees. Call it the music, or just the growing internal life of Orlando as Drew, but in one take this young actor’s whole working life seems to take a leap. It’s one of those breathtaking moments you dream of in a movie – and I hope I’m not jinxing it by writing this – but watching it, a whole raft of feelings start to well up. I can feel my dad, my own family, all the intentions of the script, start to come together. And when the take is over, Orlando bounds back with a soul full of oxygen and excitement and pride. He knows it, too. It’s a truly great moment, and we move onto the bridge. More greatness follows. I can’t help it, some tears squirt out as I watch Orlando walk proudly back down the bridge. Looking around, I’m not the only one dabbing tears.

This is why Cameron Crowe is an amazing filmmaker, writer, music-lover - this is why I always look forward to seeing his work, reading his old stories and following his process.

This entire journal is just incredible. Check it out if you get an opportunity.

No comments: