5.20.2005

27

My parents are celebrating their 27th wedding anniversary today. On every May 20 since I was in high school, I've spent at least a snippet of the day trying to imagine how things were back in 1978 - how my mother felt as she looked into the mirror wearing her wedding gown, what my father was thinking as he saw her walking down the aisle.

I am, of course, never able to really succeed in this challenge. It all becomes a series of snapshots in my mind - those photographs I stared at over and over when I was little, looking through their brown leather wedding album. But I think about it nevertheless, smiling myself while thinking of their posed grins. Mom's smile beams in these photographs, while Dad's closed-mouth smile looks ready to burst.

They were both so happy that day - and my mother sounded happy (albeit a little incredulous) when I called to wish them a happy anniversary this morning.

"I can't believe it's been this long," she said.

Ah, love.

In other news. I find it amusing to think of where I was a year ago today - in Boston for Jason Mraz's "Tour of the Curbside Prophets." This year, I'm preparing to go to Massachusetts for another SD musician. Good times are almost guaranteed.

And how about that "CSI" finale? Sweet Jesus, that was incredible.

Happy Friday...

No comments: