5.15.2005

Just sayin'

Consider this a Casa de Racca pop quiz question.

Of the three members of Casa de Racca (B, C and V), which was the only flatmate to NOT do any of the following over the course of a Saturday:

A) Walk into a room and exclaim, "Damn Chad! I have him stuck in my head and I can't get him out!"
B) Decide to see what audio wonderment awaited when one plays both the audio player on Averi's website and myspace - at the same time.
C) Follow that up with one song - in a round.
D) Spend an avid amount of time reading the message board.
E) Break the contended silence of dinner preparation with "I fell asleep at the wheel the other night - DA DA DUNAH."
F) Sit down at the dinner table with "How 'bout those Averi fans, eh?"
G) Serve as DJ for a musical journey down memory lane by playing "Flutter," "Mouth Full of Sand," and the opening six seconds or so of "For Better Or Worse" - on repeat so one could hear the door slam numerous times.
H) Exlaim "IT SOUNDS LIKE HE'S WEARING TAP SHOES!" after repeats of previously mentioned intro.
I) Find it necessary to play "Bitches Ain't Shit" (both the original Dr. Dre version and Ben Folds' cover) to get song from aforementioned Boston band out of one's head.

If you answered "C," you would, surprisingly, be wrong. If you answered "B," you obviously either don't know my flatmates at all or are in need of more of an introduction.

If you answered "V," may I say, "Liar. There's no way you thought I wouldn't do any of these, because I've been pegged the silly band fan of this household." Then I'd pause for a moment and say, "Thank you, now do you see how I've gotten the bad rap as the silly band fan of this household?"

The only thing I would possibly admit to, in this case, is being guilty of association. As in associating with such knuckleheads, endearing as they may be.

Well, that and to the fact that I did wind up dancing across the kitchen as the karaeoke rendition of "MFS" was being performed.

In other news. After threatening us all weekend, the rain finally descended early this afternoon, with the sudden burst and perpendicular descent of movie set rain. I suddenly found myself scampering to my car, the dots of precipation on my trench coat becoming streaks and, ultimetly, splotches of darker-colored fabric. Had I not been carrying a bag of items I'd have preferred to keep dry, I probably would have slowed my pace and enjoyed the feeling of the water. Spring showers are not the kind that get me down.

It's subsided for the most part as I write this, but the sight of hazy gray skies and dripping ledges has convinced me to stay indoors until the festivities that drove me outside in the first place. I was reminded today of how difficult it is to select a card for someone you don't know particularly well - but want to impress with wit and candor so there remains a chance that you can get to know the person better. Hmm. Conundrum. I think I handled it appropriately.

Lewis Black performed at the Flynn last night - started off ranting about the state's questionalbe cell phone signal capabilities and went from there. Amusing to be sure, downright hysterical a couple of times and overall worth the price of admission. I don't understand the point of someone warming up the crowd and then breaking for intermission, but perhaps that's just me. I still found myself giggling and grinning throughout, so who am I to question?

For now, a rented movie ("Stage Beauty"), t-shirt making project (it had been too long and it seems an appropriate day for it - fun with iron-ons! I know, suchadork) and the preparation of my famous-to-a-select-few favorite summer dish.

Ah, Sunday.

(NOTE: I'm going to have details for three concerts in Boston this week posted as soon as I get the details. I know they're lined up for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - and that they are concerts that San Diego music scene-loving fools will not want to miss. Bushwalla. Venue unknown to me at the moment.
The last-minute nature of these shows and the fact they fall in the middle of the week - with the exception of Friday, which is already known as "Ryan Revelry Day" in Vermont - means this SD music scene-loving lass will not be able to attend. Which is why I yelled in my car upon hearing the news yesterday and why I considered just how impossible it would be to leave work, drive to the show, sleep for maybe 3 or 4 hours and then drive back to Vermont for work the next day (with this coming weekend, I had to deduce that that might, in fact, kill me).
But if enough others go - and you'll want to - perhaps I'll feel like I'm there in spirit. Or I'll just spend portions of Wednesday and Thursday night playing "Sessions" and pretending I'm there. Whatever.)

No comments: