5.04.2005

"I can see myself in you"

My sides hurt, my lungs hurt and I was gasping for air. Tears pouring down my face.

The dramatic interpretation performed before me required deft and speedy transition, as the one-person show featured two characters looking at the situation from decidedly different points of view. Beth jumped up for a moment, then fell down to the floor. Back up, back down. She finally collapsed onto the floor in a fit of giggles matching my own.

"That - was - absolutely - brilliant!" I choked out between laughter bursts. I wiped the tears from my eyes as I continued to snicker.

I couldn't recall precisely when or how the idea initially surfaced, but we'd each been threatening to dive into the 20-odd pages of printed lines and lyrics for days. Perhaps it was the sangria that gave us the final push. Regardless, "American Idol" played in the background as we each sat on a couch, stack of papers shuffled in front of us, spiral notebooks on our laps.

It was a quiet process broken only by snickers and exclamations of "oh my god." We both scribbled into our notebooks, aided by lyrics ripe for the mix and match process of picking.

The idea? Create conversations using only the available lyrics. Play around, see what comes out of it.

We each wrote two. Amusing as hell. But B's stole the show. Every lyric from a different song, coming together to form a hilarious, innuendo-laced conversation.

Which drove me to tears.

B took her bow and fell back into her couch. "He's just so angsty."

No comments: