5.04.2005

Random observation

During my tour-leading days in the district-city, I led my lovable little groups into the crypt, where a series of models of the building were displayed in sequence.

Pierre Charles L'Enfant had described the hill on which we were standing as "a pedestal waiting for a monument," I told the various sets of (mostly) attentive ears. And thus, the monument-building had found its rightful place.

There were many times during my time there that I would pause outside one of the endless "front doors," staring out at the plaza in front and mall beyond. I wanted to be sure that I took time to appreciate the view from the pedestal that widened so many people's eyes.

The concept returned to me this afternoon, as I paused at a stop sign while driving through my little town-city. My car was perched at the top of one of the many steep hills, the street ahead sloping down to ultimately reach the lake below. The surface of the water was speckled with waves, but still enough to create a warped mirror image of New York State in the distance. I could see two contrasts of pale blue sky and slate blue mountains.

I take a status check glance at the lake at least once a day during my travels, checking to see if it looks rough or smooth and thus gauging the weather's temperament. I've taken in some gorgeous water views from this perch on the hill, but I can't recall any other instances in which I've seen that clear a reflection on the water.

It made me feel happy to know of this different kind of pedestal and to have the opportunity to appreciate the view it offers.

No comments: