2.23.2005

Turn the dial

status check - Tired (but caffeinated - huzzah!)
background ambiance - Phish, "Down With Disease"

Don't expect much brilliance, wit or candor today - the day began at 6 a.m., I'm not a morning person and I consider consciousness to be a significant achievement.

That said. I've driven more in the last three days than...well, than I've driven in a long time without a trip to Boston involved.

I don't generally listen to the radio much these days - most of my favorites don't appear regularly (if ever) on the radio stations around here, so I just happily sing along to my CDs during travels. But, in my half-awake state early (eeeeeearly) this morning, I forgot to bring additional CDs with me for the day's travels. I only had one in the car. No matter how much I may enjoy an album, listening to it non-stop for a long period of time gets old. So I decided to give radio a shot. Random notes from this radio foray:

Kudos to one of the stations for busting out some Spin Doctors. I still can't listen to "Bigger Than My Body" without laughing, but I realized today that I don't mind the lyrics as much as I'd thought. It's just the falsetto in the chorus that really irks me. The Point's "Hot Lunch Special" was presented with a magic theme (and included Ben Folds Five, John Fogerty, Badly Drawn Boy and the Beatles! Hurrah!) and the female DJ has a lovely Irish accent. I was reminded that I do in fact like two (2) Phish songs, having forgotten about "Down With Disease."

As I made my way south (I wound up awfully close to SoVo), I was able to tune into my favorite Vermont radio station (EQX) and smile at the seemingly always brilliant playlist. I made a mental note to tune into the webcast upon returning north, to actually listen to a Vermont station instead of San Diego (for once).

But the most amusing discovery? "Coin-Operated Boy." I've listened to the Dresden Dolls before, but had somehow completely missed this song. But I was laughing out loud while cresting the hills during the trip back north...I loved it.

But, then again, might just be the fact that I'm exhausted and anything can make me laugh at this point. Who knows. I'll let you be the judge.

this bridge was written to make you feel smittener
with my sad picture of girl getting bitterer
can you extract me from my plastic fantasy
i didnt think so but im still convinceable
will you persist even after i bet you
a billion dollars that i'll never love you
will you persist even after i kiss you
goodbye for the last time
will you keep on trying to prove it?
i'm dying to lose it...
i want it
i want you
i want a coin operated boy.

No comments: