2.02.2005

My Day

status check - Great
background ambiance - Averi, "When You Gracefully Creep In"

February 2 is My Day.

It was only a matter of time before I officially declared it a personal holiday. For whatever reason, life has consistently sent good things my way on this particular day. Out of all those one will find on a calendar, February 2 has the best track record of ending well - that is, I traditionally end the day with a smile on my face due to some form of special event.

Five years ago, I returned to my townhouse determined to find out about the amazing singer/songwriter I'd seen at the Coffeehouse that evening. All I knew was that he had a hilarious British accent, performed a mean Dave Matthews Band cover and had an amazingly familiar-sounding song called "She Says" that I loved right away. My first Howie Day concert began my shift from my angry-girl Korn and Limp Bizkit phase toward the music I adore today.

Four years ago, I learned that Michelle and I were given a slot on the campus station's radio programming. I remember being thrilled to know precisely when the two of us would be laughing over the airwaves.

Three years ago? The day started during the post-ACTF-competition celebration. I had learned I'd be going back to DC that April, and as February 2 began, I was feeling buzzed and warm as I sat on a stoop in the cold with another ACTF repeat.

Two? Not much to celebrate that year - but I was in the DC mentality at the time.

And one year ago, I started my "full-time full-time" endeavor with this screwy, alternately frustrating and rewarding profession I'm in.

So it's My Day and I'm going to have a grin on my face throughout, dammit. I've earned the right. I mean, we celebrate birthdays - when our mothers really did all the work. We celebrate holidays to remember what others did years, centuries ago.

Shouldn't a Me Day be celebrated as well? It's one of the few opportunities you have to really celebrate what you've accomplished. I think it's all the more important for that very reason.

So I'm in celebratory mode. And ready to see if the extraordinary precedent of an otherwise ordinary day happens to continue.

No comments: