2.08.2005

"OK, go ahead"

status check - Decent
background ambiance - Averi, "Mouthfull of Sand"

What can I say? It's Tuesday. Tuesdays are generally blah and annoying. Add to that the fact that it's a rainy blah and annoying Tuesday. I'm looking for some form of a silver lining here.

So...happy Averi CD Release Day?

For the record, I still haven't figured out precisely why albums are released on Tuesday. I have my own ideas - something to do with the weekend and whatnot, but the official reason? No clue. Anyone in the know care to enlighten me on the reasoning behind it?

Whatever the reason, however, here we are on a Tuesday with Averi's "Drawn to Revolving Doors" out. Officially. Funny to think that it's been three years since I bought my last completely-new-to-me Averi album. It makes me feel old.

An ancient 24. That's me.

Anyway. For those who haven't taken a listen yet but are familiar with the band, let me offer this bit of advice: give it a few listens before you make up your mind.

I have to remember that, after picking up "Direction of Motion" at the benefit show, I didn't like "Discovering the Truth About Oz." And now it's one of my favorites.

So when I first received my copy of DTRD, I wasn't sure what to think. It wasn't what I expected ... I just didn't know what those expectations were.

After some time to really listen to it, I'm digging it. Sure, there are things I'm not crazy about (the use of filtered vocals, "The Brighter Side" among them, but more on that later), but overall? A strong, catchy album that makes me smile. I don't see the shades of Gavin and Michael Tolcher I read about in some reviews (nor, for that matter, Hoobastank or Jason Mraz), but I do agree that it's a polished collection of songs with tight hooks and infectous melodies.

Particular standouts: "For Better Or Worse," of course (and this coming from the girl who has hated to love/loved to hate that song for months); "When You Gracefully Creep In"; "Hide Away"; "Goodnight, Goodbye". Moments I enjoy: the breakdown in "Mouthfull of Sand" shortly before "I didn't find it in religion..."; the harmony on the last note of "The shallow waters we wade in" in "Attention To Details"; any moment with saxophone; the harmonies (always one of my favorite things about Averi's sound).

As I said, some things? Not so much. "The Brighter Side" doesn't move me, nor do moments of over-produced polish. We've determined that I'm a live music kind of girl. Anything that can't be translated to a stage, I'll happily do without. But I recall Howie Day discussing "Stop All the World Now," in which he said the production was a bit over the top, but he didn't care. He wanted to use strings, he could afford to use strings, so he did use strings. I kind of look at it the same way as the filters with DTRD. I'm OK with it because it doesn't affect the sound so much I no longer enjoy it.

But as a complete package - Strong. Good. Enjoyable. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

Speaking of checking Averi out, head over to the website - new design. I realized today that it was the fourth design I've seen ... like I said. I'm ancient.

Overall, I like the look. I think Stuart and Matt deserve more visibility on the banner image. But the design and color scheme is lovely. Kudos to the desinger.

But...well...Averiators?

*cough*A-Team*cough*

In other news. Did you know Necco makes Sweethearts gum?

No comments: