2.07.2005

Spring-time Delusions

status check - Fabulous
background ambiance - The Thermals "What We Know" (Damn you, Michelle!)

Maybe this is why I can't give up on New England.

After abandoning any hopes of feeling anything less than frozen until June, I'm happy to say Mother Nature has given us a reprieve for the last week or so. It started off Wednesday and has continued through today, despite the fact that I've been convinced it will revert to winter at any instant.

Until that moment comes, however, I'm soaking up the sunshine as much as I can. I gleefully abandoned even thinking about wearing a sweater today and, even, left the wool winter coat at home.

I hate winter with a passion - but I love spring's warm and inviting return. Even if this particular spring weather's sure to be a cruel tease.

The weekend in Boston was precisely what I needed after a long week gone by. I had a chance to relax. Sleep in. Sip my caramel iced lattes (my newest addiction) during an evening completely devoted to writing - well, writing and singing/laughing along to the coffeehouse's piped-in mix of Celine Dion, Snoop Dogg, UB40, matchbox twenty (the lone saving grace) and gems last heard on the Beverly Hills 90210 soundtrack.

I bought a new notebook and have decided to implement the strict "write for the sake of writing" practice so many of my favorites use/used. Every day, ideally for an hour - take what's on my mind and put it into something resembling a short story.

If you haven't seen "Coffee and Cigarettes" yet, do so. And let me know, so I don't feel like the last person on the planet to finally see it.

And then we have the Patriots. Yet another Super Bowl victory. I thought for sure something was going to happen to make them drag Vinatieri out for another last-second field goal ... glad they didn't.

That said, I should confess that I only watched selected portions of the game. I'm just not a football fan - never have had a need to be (no football team in high school or college), never had an interest to (was traumatized by parents' fascination with fantasy football growing up and still revel in being able to watch what I want on Sunday and Monday evenings now that I'm on my own). I usually watch the Super Bowl - particularly when New England's in it, but I'm there mostly for the commercials and the halftime show. Both of which SUCKED this year. I'm sorry, I like the Beatles and, thus, Paul McCartney as much as any appreciative music fan does. But some things should remain sacred - and a singalong of "Hey Jude" at the SUPER BOWL?!?! No no no. American football. British Beatle. Does not compute.

Don't even get me started on the use of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" ...

But finally. On a good, humorous note. Next time I'm in the area, someone's got to go with me to JP - we're going to get coffee at Java Jo's.

The name association cracked me up with I read it in the Phoenix ... Until I can get to SD and get that drink at Java Joe's, at least I can jokingly pretend.

No comments: