2.12.2005

Nothing can be nice, too.

status check - Relaxed
background ambiance - The Postal Service, "Nothing Better"

My friends tease me about my wanderlust all the time.

I don't know when it developed, but somewhere along the way, I got it into my head that it's necessary to keep moving. Doing. Experiencing. Just sitting back? Wasteful use of time.

I think that's one of the reasons I want to once again dwell in a city. During my Washington days, I'd often wind up going out to explore - whether it was wandering in a museum (how I miss the National Gallery!) or seeing a new part of town, there was always something to do, something to see. I couldn't get over the fact that I could do something different each weekend and not repeat myself unless I really wanted to.

Which, upon discovering the Matisse tower at the Gallery, I did. But I maintain that anyone would.

I have to be reminded to rest and just be for awhile. To savor the moment without a need to rush. That I don't need to hop into a car and go somewhere - I can just relax and do nothing for a change.

Today? Pick up iced caramel lattes on the way home to watch "Edward Scissorhands." Write some emails I'd been meaning to write, write some stories I've had percolating in my mind. Cook dinner with my flatmates and see what the evening has in store. Blare Keane while flatmates are out, thus pretending I was at the Orpheum show last night. Sing along to The Postal Service because it makes me feel good. Read Cosmo and laugh at how easy it is to fall into the glossy stories.

Temporarily battle the wanderlust and try out that whole "be content for the moment" concept. See how it fits. See if it suits me.

No comments: