1.26.2005

"Take my thoughts for what they're worth"

status check - Slightly tired
background ambiance - Rilo Kiley, "Portions For Foxes"

Slippery, Sister Hazel, slippery...

I walked into the new Higher Ground last night expecting to hear one, maybe two songs I knew included in Sister Hazel's set. I remembered enjoying the singles I heard on the radio back in the 90s, but the band's heydey predated my concert-frequenting ways and I'd never gone out of my way to attend a show.

Surprisingly - and pleasantly so - I found myself singing along to numerous songs performed during the set. Songs I didn't even know Sister Hazel performed - and those I'd completely forgotten that I loved ("Your Winter"). What I'd planned to be an amusing stroll down memory lane wound up being a fun time - if a little heavy on the whole positivity/love yourself concepts.

What can I say? I guess I need at least a little angry angst in my music.

I arrived at the show in time to hear the last song in Graham Colton's set pulse through the doors to the space. "Cigarette," which made me laugh - it being the last song I can clearly remember from the only other time I'd seen GC perform. Upon finding Beth and Chuck inside, I was told that Graham had made reference to the other time the band was in Burlington - and how he didn't remember much other than that they had a good time.

My thoughts exactly.

The new space is nothing at all like the original Higher Ground. You can't even try to compare the two, even though posters from shows gone by are now hanging from the walls in the lobby.

That said, it's a promising new space. Beth remarked (very insightfully) that the new space doesn't have the character of the old HG, but that it's still very new and would most likely develop a sense of that character. I agreed. I'd already accepted that the experience of attending a show at the old space would never be replicated - but I feel good about the possibilities present at the new.

A movie theater converted to a club doesn't have quite the same kitschy charm as a Denny's converted to a club, but it'll work for me.

In other, related news. Sister Hazel's bassist bears a striking resemblance to Kevin Millar.

And, finally, I read my horoscope today and cursed the anonymous astrologer for making me appear too predictable.

No comments: