1.28.2005

Night Writer

status check - Sleep-deprived
background ambiance - Tristan Prettyman, "Love, Love, Love"

Random things stumble through your mind when you've tossed and turned until 3:31 a.m.

I gave up on trying to fall asleep last night (this morning?), turned on the light and reached over to grab my notebook and pen. Figured I'd just write whatever came to mind so I'd get it out of my head and I could finally drift off.

Looking back at the scribbled-over page this morning, I discovered that little things I generally ignore took precedent in my semi-conscious state. It wasn't necessarily what I was thinking, but what I was hearing, feeling, seeing in my contact-less hazy vision. I wrote about the creaks the house made as it settled in for the night (even it was more ready for a few hours' peace than I). The sound of sneakers crushing snow as a late-night wanderer walked past down the street. The slow stretch my muscles felt as I straightened out from my dozing contortions.

I would have much perferred blissfully sleeping through this late-night work session, but if it had to happen, at least it could teach me a lesson. I spend so much time in my writing focusing on people saying or thinking things - I always enjoy what I write when I focus on little things but don't do it nearly as often as I should.

Lesson learned - great. So I'll thank myself by buying myself a big ol' cup of coffee so I can stay awake the day after.

No comments: