1.24.2005

Charleston, anyone?

status check - Amused
background ambiance - Speechwriters LLC, "Blood on the Frets"

This morning has been composed of random comments or observations that make me laugh more than they normally would.

After a humorous discussion yesterday afternoon about the validity of my "alternacoustic" musical preferences, myspace yielded a particularly amusing bit of information. As Butch Walker posted:

we all wanna be "indie" and cool, but we also want a million people to hear our music and have our pictures posted in the nightlife section of Spin (wearing scarves and looking casually interested in being there, although we've been counting the days..). you see, "indie" is just a sound and an asthetic these days.. you can't call yourself "indie" and sign to Sony, Warner, Etc. (like i did.. or countless other artists that consider themselves that), and expect to not be treated as a "pop act". we just need to have more choices of genre, as well as "file under" categories for our musician Myspace profiles.. that's why i will call it "Pretindie Rock", although i am only given the choices "indie", "pop", and "rock" to call myself... i digress....

So, with that in mind, Beth, I maintain that I love an assortment of styles of music, but listen with particular fondness to alernacoustic and pretindie rock. Please note that it's not "pretindy." Thank you.

As I arrived at the job today, shivering beneath several layers of sweater, jacket and scarf, one of my coworkers commented that my hair looked adorable, peeking out from beneath my knit cap like a flapper bob.

I laughed, thinking of another weekend conversation that wound up with me trying to remember those swing dance lessons so I could do the partner version of the Charleston.

I need a flapper dress and some bright red lipstick. Or rather, since it's so bloody cold right now, just the lipstick. Maybe some bathtub-brewed whiskey or something.

There's nothing finer than the Charleston, Charleston.
Lord, how you can shuffle.
Ev'ry step you do leads to something new.
Man, I'm telling you it's a lapazoo.

No comments: