1.23.2005

Snowdrifts

status check - Warm
background ambiance - Rilo Kiley, "The Absence of God"

We got off lucky - relatively speaking.

My back thanked the winter gods profusely for sparing us from the brunt of yesterday's New England blizzard. Since it's just been way too cold for any significant snow accumulation, northern Vermont wound up with about two or three inches. Which is nothing compared to the updates I've been receiving from family and friends in Massachusetts. Two feet at least, probably more - which means shoveling or sledding, depending on one's outlook.

Here? I took on the shoveling task, hence the grateful back. The cold has abated slightly - which means I can stand outside for longer than five minutes. Maybe seven and a half minutes now. Good times.

I'm preparing for another cold-bound day with only necessary excursions outside my colorful apartment. I'm going to cook dinner for my flatmates - which obviously shows the cold has seeped into my brain (or into my flatmates', as they enthusiastically agreed to test my culinary skills). Other than that? We've got movies. We've got hot chocolate mix. I've a novel to write - or at least a couple of chapters to get through. It's all good.

Entertainment Weekly includes in its latest issue a Gavin timeline, following his growing popularity over the past 18 months. Hilarious. I almost feel as if I should add my own little timeline - marking when I reviewed his show for the paper, when the Cartman rendition of "I Don't Want To Be" first appeared and other little snickers. I still maintain that he's talented, that there are songs on the album I do enjoy ... he definitely has potential. But ...

In more favorable music news, I'm pleased to realize that, somewhere over the course of the past few days, Rilo Kiley's "More Adventurous" has finally clicked with me. About time! While I picked up the album the day it came out and have been listening to it sporadically ever since, there was just something preventing me from enjoying it as much as "The Execution of All Things" or "Take Offs and Landings." I think it just seemed too catchy - I couldn't take it as seriously as the others. I'm not sure.

Regardless. Now the songs have needled their way into my heart and I realize that the songwriting does show growth and development ... and Jenny, Blake and company have managed to continue their jarring pattern of crafting songs with lyrics that might as well have come out of my brain. There's always something about hearing and processing lyrics that make you pause - not only because they're so aptly phrased, but because it makes you a little sad to realize how true they are. But you also smile because you realize your mind isn't the only to work that way - random as it may be at times.

And I say there's trouble
When everything is fine
The need to destroy things
Creeps up on me every time
Just as love's silhouette appears
I close my eyes and disappear tonight


And, on a final musical tangent before I'm off to shop for ingredients ... the Globe came out with its "Hot Local Music" 2005 feature. Averi's included, which was neat to see - a short blurb, photo and quick Q&A with Chad (note to Globe writers: At least mention the names of the other guys somewhere).

Willy Mason was also included! He won me over last weekend, during his opening slot for Ray at Paradise ... he reminded me a great deal of Pete - which is always a good thing.

Remember, lift the shovel with your legs, not your back!

No comments: