1.06.2005

get your rally on

status check - recharged
background ambiance - typical

boston-types, lend me your ears.

friday - yes, tomorrow - at noon, head on over to the corner of washington and boylston streets for a "save the gaiety" rally.

despite the frustrating legal decisions in the past several weeks, the gaiety still stands and is the focus on yet another legal battle. the glass slipper petitioned the supreme judicial court on dec. 30 and the court has decided to hear the case. justice francis x. spina is the new man on which theater lovers should place their hopes - arguments will be heard tuesday at 10 a.m. at one beacon.

so a quick update as to where we (we as in anyone interested in what happens to the gaiety - a group of people in which i most certainly include myself) are now: the glass slipper would face seizure by eminent domain should kensington proceed with demolition plans. spina will hear the case tuesday and kensington has agreed to hold on off any demolition (for which they have a permit, thanks to land court judge keith c. long) until spina makes a decision. the glass slipper is scheduled to also appear in court in march, taking kensington and the BRA to task for zoning violations.

meanwhile, there's tomorrow's rally. if there was any way i could possibly be there, i would - i'm frustrated beyond belief at the fact that i'm four hours away from the gaiety. if it was on saturday, i'd make the trip without a second thought. but there's an increase in support for the gaiety - as explained in an article in this week's phoenix. if anyone in my readership attends, i'll be rallying with you in spirit.

------
in other news. i've mostly recovered from my "just kill me now" sickness yesterday, having spent much of my unexpected day off lounging around in a state of general malaise. i'm not a good sickie and i'm certainly not a good sick-day-taker -- damn my parents and my resulting strong work ethic. despite feeling much better today, many of my colleagues thought for sure i'd be wise and take a second day off.

hell no, i replied. much as i enjoyed being able to languish about my flat with my fellow sick-girl, elizabeth (yet another example of coordinated illness because we're odd like that), i watched enough television for the next year. you try going from "mean girls" to "the magdalene sisters," take a break (which includes the statement "believe it or not, i've already seen 'britney's most shocking moments 2004'")and then move on to "the west wing" and "hope floats." you see how much tv you want to watch after that.

i'm almost feeling a little guilty, however, for feeling well today. granted, i'm not ready to run a marathon, but my energy's back and i'm ready to do things. but after taking a day off for illness, i felt like i should look horrible when i came back. properly ill - even if i now feel properly well.

instead, i look pretty good today. thanks to the wonders of makeup, my pale face now looks rosy and ready for whatever comes my way. my newly shorn hair ("shorn" should be read as "chopped to about my chin") looks fun and just mussed enough to make me happy.

the one time in my life i feel guilty for looking good.

in other news. i screwed up, it appears. it looks like ray lamontagne's sold out the paradise - and i waited too long to buy tickets. if anyone has two extras, contact me and you'll be my new best friend (no offense intended for old best friends).

but if the lamontagne show doesn't work out, i'm still planning on a boston trip that weekend. who's coming with me to play in photo booths and enjoy vegetarian treats at grasshopper?

let's do it up.

No comments: