1.22.2005

Lake Effect

status check - Thawing
background ambiance - Photo printer, working its magic

The lake looks like a massive vat of dry ice - something out of a horror or sicence fiction movie. I had my first chance to notice the phenomenon yesterday, as my car crested the Main Street hill on my way back to work. The late afternoon sunshine, clouds and lake fog blended together into a crazily glowing mass of haze.

For those as scientifically inept as myself (let's give a hand to Mr. Brown for killing my love of science in high school), a quick explanation. The lake temperate is about 30 degrees. Air temperature peaked at 1 degree today. Cold air + relatively warm air = incredible fog + the appearance of a photo junkie at the waterfront today.

I was able to take about four shots before I realized my hands had gone completely numb. Because I didn't select the best time of day to shoot, the light wasn't cutting through the fog as well as it did yesterday. I wasn't about to wait around for the light to shift, so I cut my loses for the day, figuring I'd have more than enough opportunity to get the shots I want before spring. Damn cold.

While I'm taking Mother Nature's hint and staying in, bundled up, this afternoon, Beth and I braved the early evening freeze to catch Syd's early show at Nectar's last night. I wind up catching a Syd show about every six months, it seems, this being my third since I was introduced to his music on the New Year's Eve before last.

The first set was composed of Syd and Tuck; the second, at Radio Bean, featured Syd, Tuck and a bassist, I believe; last night's show included Syd, Tuck, bassist and a drummer. Good sound, although I was surprised to discover that some of the newer material has a much heavier, almost post-grunge sound to it - not what I'd expected. But I enjoyed it, bobbing my head and singing along to the songs I knew from our perches at the bar. They were having a blast onstage and it was impossible not to chuckle at Syd's banter ("My name is Syd, we're all known collectively as Syd. Because I'm a huge egomaniac"). It was the final set in a three-act show, with Gregory Douglass (he's always good when I see him, I enjoy the sets, but for some reason, his music's never clicked with me and I'm still trying to figure out why) and Throwback (Canadian! Fun! Polka tease!) also performing.

I had to laugh when I realized my healthy curiosity about Canadian television had come back to bite me - I still maintain that a Degrassi castmember's TWIN was there. For those in the N know, she looked just like Ash.

I know, it's sad that I thought of it. But I had to see a couple of episodes after realizing that seemingly everyone my age watched Degrassi at some point when they were growing up. I hadn't - apparently I missed the pre-teen memo. So I admit it - I've seen three episodes of the show on the N Channel (whatever that is) and laughed myself silly. Hell, that's why we named my car DT. Downtown Sasquatch, woo!

If you can't laugh at yourself ...

In other news. It's amazing that it's freezing outside, I'm shivering beneath layers of sweaters, yet so looking forward to the prospect of frozen margaritas.

??? I don't get it either.

Keep warm, kiddos.

***UPDATE: Photos of the lake and my attempt (rather unsuccessful) at photos from the Ray Lamontagne show at Paradise are up on the photo site.***

No comments: