7.27.2001

i became one of what i had come to call "those people" yesterday.

cell phone touting, figure-out-what-kind-of-ring-i-want, what-color-faceplate-will-i-get, only-so-many-minutes, gotta-get-everyone-entered-in-my-automatic-dialer kind of people.

i had always sworn i'd never get a cell phone. i don't know where along the way i decided they were evil, but it came to be that NOT having one was my own little rebellion. walking down the street, everyone yakking away on their cells. the playhouse having to put a special announcement before the shows saying to turn off cell phones. everyone having their regular phone numbers but also the "but my cell's ALWAYS with me, so here's that number"...

but yesterday, as i went with my folks to the mall, they followed through on what they'd suggested before--picking up a cell phone for me so when i'm off in my car, i'm all set in case of emergency.

ok, part of it is also the fact that i'm famous for getting my long distance at school cut off because i've exceeded the limit, so this is an effort to cut down on my phone bill. but it's ALSO because of the car. so the first step in getting said car has been made.

scary thing is, i kind of like having the cell. it's cute (i'm so dweeby), and i was good and didn't get one of the tiny ones with the flip down mouthpiece like my father suggested (my response: i would lose that thing in less than a day). i like thinking that people are going to be able to get in touch with me whenever, and hell, i suppose everyone else in the world having one is a clue that they're smart investments (before you say it, if everyone jumped off the golden gate bridge, i wouldn't jump just to follow the crowd).

i also ran my first full shift yesterday. yay...no crises to report, at least no major ones. the only thing i was worried about was the end of the night paperwork and the damn deposit, but deposit was perfect and i remembered just about everything for the paperwork. after tuesday (when i run my first scheduled shift--jason let me run his last night), i sit down with mike and figure out what my raise is going to be. more money is good, even if it still won't be much. ;)

and now, since my fingers feel much better today, i am going to spend the hours before tonight's shift working on my collage and, naturally, playing my dear guitar.

No comments: