10.30.2003

northern skies smilin' at me ...

red sun at morning, sailors take warning. red sun at night, sailors delight.

rosy aurora borealis, vickie loves life.

as i drove home from a highly exciting afternoon in burlington, i enjoyed the winding roads, singing along to my selected soundtrack of singer-songwriters. rufus, jason, howie, ben and i traveled down route 7 while i celebrated feelings of joy and anxious anticipation.

i half noticed the magenta glow to my left shortly after driving through middlebury but paid little attention, as my eyes were focus on the road, my mind of the next song lyric to sing. just before pittsford, however, i took a serious look and noticed the jacob's ladder-like beams in the sky, the stars poking holes through the rose-colored haze. i thought to myself for a moment, trying to determine the approximate locations of any possible airports/spotlight-needed places. realizing there was no logical man-made source of the light display, i wondered if i was in fact seeing the northern lights for the first time.

assuming i was, i continued to drive, periodically casting glances to my left (at any point where the road provided an adequate straightaway) and being dazzled by the sight. the lights were brightest just before rutland town, the entire sky on that side of the road cast in some shade of burgandy.

i told myself that it was mother nature's way of encouraging me, telling me that i was on the right path, heading in the right direction. a way of casting the world in the hue of the rose-colored glasses i feel as if i could be wearing at present.

upon arriving home (after making a couple of stops for halloween costumage), i walked in to the living room and greeted my mother and dozing father. mum instantly asked, "did you see the northern lights?"

contentment.

in other news. i don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket. or count chickens before they're hatched. or any other poultry-like figure of speech that may apply (why am i just thinking of jason mraz rock the cock?). but i can say that it appears as if things MIGHT be looking very, very promising. i find out tomorrow.

keep your fingers crossed for me.

the dancing lights on the horizon tonight reflect the dancing light of my spirit ...

No comments: