10.09.2003

it almost happened.

what is it that will prevent me from seeing mraz? i wondered this until approximately 7:30 this evening, when fate tried to intervene.

let me first say that today was The Shift From Hell. out of the four people originally scheduled to close, i was the only one - ONLY one - who wound up closing. add a whole bunch of unpleasantries and i was pretty much freaking out at any point i wasn't on the floor playing responsible manager girl.

after spilling something, i went to get a towel. on my return to the scene of the spillage (that's an amusing phrase), i passed mike, who was saying something to jean about the floors ...

WHOOSH - BAM. the whoosh was the sensation of flying as my quickly moving feet hit the wet floor. the bam was the sound of my body hitting the floor - knees first, slamming onto the tile.

it hurt like a bitch, not going to lie about that. but it was primarily the shock of falling and the opportunity to release all of the frustration in me that had been building up for the previous five and a half hours. i rested there for a moment, stunned, then rose shakily to my feet, walked out back and promptly burst into tears. it's a good thing jean (who had just mopped the floor - mike, it turns out, had been scolding her for yet another example of her mopping and THEN putting up a wet floor sign - he was saying "you realize someone could fall and get hurt" just as i hit the floor.) didn't come near me - i would have ripped her head off.

the running joke, how i would be prevented from going to tomorrow night's show (well, technically, since it's after midnight as i write this, TONIGHT's show), almost appeared to conclude with a vicious punchline. when i hit the ground, i was sure that i'd hurt myself - must have sprained my knee or broken something. so i wouldn't get to the show because of a fun-filled hospital trip the night before.

talking with paula in the back room afterwards, i laughed with her as i wiped the tears from my eyes as she told me that she was sure i had injured myself and wouldn't be able to get to the show.

"screw that," i replied. "at this point, i could be in traction and i'd still drag my broken self to the concert."

but i'm ok, albeit bruised and sore. i made it through my obstacle and came out fine on the other end - a sign that i'll be rocking out to mraz in no time. hurrah!

speaking of hurrah - I LOVE THE RED SOX! what a great surprise to come home to ... i only wish i could have seen jeter's face as we walked off the field victorious ...

this one was for johnny!

No comments: